Friday, September 13, 2013

Interview with Cover Model Jason Baca



Hey, y'all! A while back, I had the privilege to interview Male Cover Model Jason Baca on my Casey Crow site. With Jason's okay, I thought I'd offer up his yummy self again. Um...the Q&A is interesting, too.

How did you get into cover modeling? Was it always your ambition to model?
Jason- Modeling didn't become an ambition of mine until after college. I was originally fixated on becoming a professional baseball player but that career hit the brakes in my 3rd yr in college ball. After college I had people telling me at the gym that I should do modeling and that I had a perfect face for modeling... So I later became one.. Then 11 yrs into it I was about to call it quits when I saw my first romance novel of someone that looked just like me. It really opened my eyes to a whole new world I'd never ventured in. It kick started my everything in an instant because of all the ideas I had in my head that I wanted to get started on. I remember I couldn't even sleep for a few days because of all the neat poses I had in my head that I wanted to see on covers.

What has been your most memorable shoot? Any exciting locations?
Jason - My most memorable shoot had to be my very first one which was in Bodega Bay, CA. on location for the movie "I Know What You Did Last Summer" where I'd been a double for Freddie Prinze Jr. The photographer of the movie had called me over to take some photos of me. I just remember seeing the looks on the actors faces as they walked out of their honey wagons and peered over at me. They were like "Now who the heck is this guy? I haven't seen him yet, is he part of the script that I overlooked?" Once they had an understanding of what I was about, it was okay but there was that moment of confusion on their part that I got quite the thrill out of. I played it off like I was one of them of course and acted extremely confident. 

I do a little modeling on the side - mostly print - and the early call times about kill me. What do you think is the best and worst thing about modeling?
Jason - The best thing about all this is seeing me on yet another amazing cover looking my best and showing others and seeing their reactions. The worst part is when I have a craving for something delicious, I can't eat it...  I can look at the menu but I just can't eat...  I can feel the cushion but I can't have a seat!

In addition to romance covers, what other type jobs keep you busy?
Jason - Rarely do I do other types  of modeling assignments other then this. But now there has been a lot of projects for me to do the workout magazines where I perform various exercises. It is a lot of fun. Besides that I occasionally will get assignments for energy drinks or standard model work which I have slowed down from doing these days. I've kind of grown out of that emotionally. 

Can you tell us about your book, The Overexposed Model / Journey of a Male Model?
Jason - Sure well they are both modeling books that are sold through amazon.com and Barnes & Noble. They are books to help the average model become a success. I provide tips on what a person can do when they aren't modeling or the various exercises they can be doing to make their body look better more beautiful for the camera. 

What is your workout routine? Do you have a weakness for any unhealthy foods?
Jason - I workout 6 days a week, 1 hour sessions. I work 1 body part per day and include abs, calves and forearms in every workout. I also do 15-20 minutes of cardio at the end of my workouts. I am unlike most people in the gym that work to get to the sore stage and then drop the weights... For me, I start counting WHEN it gets sore cause I know that is when the muscle starts to grow.
And yes, my weaknesses are Reese's Peanut Butter Cups & Mr. Goodbar's. During Halloween one season I bought a bag of 50 or so cups for children when they came to my house. Only 1 kid came by though so around 9pm I decided to eat one... then another then another then 47 later, there was a knock at my door.. I opened the door and there were 4 kids yelling trick or treat.. So I thought and thought...  I went in the cabinet and grabbed 4 boxes of instant pudding and gave them all to the kids.. I told them to give them to their Mom's and they'll know how to make it.. Yea the kids were very
confused by the whole thing.

Please describe a typical photo shoot day.
Jason - Ok well I get up around 8am if the shoot is for 12 noon. I put on an ice pack around my face incase its a little puffy. Then I put on a masque, the one I'm using right now is a Clay Oatmeal & Avocado masque. In the shower I use Aveeno's Positively nourishing energizing body wash which invigorates my skin and senses. It contains lemongrass,grapefruit & rosemary. Then I use Tree Hut's Tropical Blends Kiwi Body Wash. Then an Ultra Rich Shea Butter Creme which contains moisturizing beads. Then a soap free cleansing lather put out by the body shop which will purify and condition my skin.
And for my face I use Clean & Clear's Morning Burst in shower facial follow by Olay's botanical fusion restore scrub,then St.Ives Mineral Therapy moisture polishing wash.  After the shower I use an aloe deep penetrating moisturizer for the body and follow that up with a second coat of St.Ives Naturally Indulgent Coconut Milk & Orchid Extract which is a long lasting moisture which will leave my skin feeling silky & smooth. For my face I use Loreal's anti-dark circle eye moisturizer which diminishes dark circles. Then an anti-wrinkle eye serum followed by a daily anti-age moisturize that contains green tea. Then Garnier's Skin Renew regenerating serum. Then finally Clinique's dramatically different moisturizing creme.
Once I have completed this routine I am all set for whatever happens from this point on. When I arrive at the studio, its me, and the art director,photographer, co-model, and make up artist. Usually the MUA has to do a lot of work to the co-mod el but very little if anything on me. Maybe a touch up here and there to prevent a shine on my face. They usually start us off with a simple pose to get comfortable with one another. We are usually complete strangers and had just met that very same day. Most of the models I'd encountered are pros though. They know how to pose, know how to look at me and aren't nervous. Then I've had some that are very nervous about it all or they may have built too much up in their head before hand so the photos come back un-useable. Sometimes couples shoots can be tough, both got to be on key and not thinking about anything other then that moment. 

As romance authors, we occasionally get a certain "look" when we tell people what we do for a living. Is it the same for cover models?
Jason - Ok yea well I know that look all too well. That look they give you is a strange different look. A lot of times they are caught off guard by it. They look at me after I tell them what I do and are kind of confused. But it's okay because I too give them that same look when they tell me what they do.

How do publishers book you for jobs?
Jason - Its very simple, all they have to do is contact my management -  http://www.hmmodels.com/model.asp?modelID=395

Can independent authors use stock photos of you for their covers? Where do we find them?
Jason - They most certainly can. And there is a link they can go to get those here -  http://www.theauthorsredroom.com/cover-model-jason-baca-bares-it-all/

Lastly, is there a "cover model club" or some place where fans can find you?
Jason - There is kind of a club brewing and it all begins here - http://www.romancetreasure.com

No comments: