Okay, now that my Ode to Self is out of the way…While working on my new manuscript this weekend I wracked my brain about eroticism. Not necessarily sex—I mean, yeah that too—but more along the lines of how to make a scene erotic. And what is it? A love scene isn’t automatically erotic. It’s the words, scents, touches, sounds that make it sensual. Hot. A conversation can be erotic. I’ve read some books where the dialogue during sex made it sizzling, not the act itself. Or even a kiss. *sigh* Some of the sexiest scenes involve a kiss and nothing else. So I started thinking—a dangerous thing that—what do I find erotic? Oooh. Scent. I love when a room has the aroma of fresh sex. And I have to admit. I love tasteful dirty talk. Is that an oxymoron? And long hair on a man that trails over a woman’s skin, the ends damp from the sweat glistening on his shoulders…Why yes. I have given this some thought.
So I’ve come up with some examples of erotic scenes that I will fast forward through a movie to get to. Or skim forward in a book to read. Plot. Nah. Black moment. Forget it. Hot scene. Bingo!
1. The Top Gun kiss scene. Oh. My. I loved that. In total silhouette, Tom Cruise and Kelly McGillis’ features weren’t even clear but that kiss...the way he teased her mouth with his and used his tongue. I fell in love with him in that movie…and fell right out after Minority Report. But that’s another story…
2. Linda Howard’s Son of the Morning when Black Niall chased Grace down after she discovered the religious relics in the secret chamber of his Scottish castle. He pinned her to the floor, their breathing harsh. By all rights he should have killed her. Instead he lifted Grace to her knees and gave her the best, most generous sex she’d ever experienced. *shiver* Hold up. I have a little skimming to do. Be right back…
3. Okay, I’m here again! Butch and Marissa in J.R. Ward’s Lover Revealed. The scene in the hospital. Actual love making didn’t occur but could you tell? Really? Butch had Marissa pinned under him on the hospital bed, gown open in the back and revealing his back, gorgeous butt and thighs as he ground his hips against hers. Ooh. And did I mention Vishous watching from the observatory?
4. The love scene between Neo and Trinity in The Matrix: Reloaded. It was everything about this scene. Their bodies twisted together with the yellow background. It seemed as if they were making love in a furnace! And not to mention the almost animalistic dancing and tribal beat going on above them. Raw. Hot. Erotic.
5. The first time Baby and Johnny made love in Dirty Dancing. The eroticism started as soon as he opened the door with nothing on but those tight black pants. His chest. Her virginal white. And the dancing as the clothes came off. The entire scene was a visual orgasm!
So these are my choices. What’s yours? What scene from a movie or book just screams erotic to you? Do you agree or disagree with me?
P.S. – My husband proposed Monster’s Ball. He said Halle Berry’s character’s enthusiasm and the rawness of the scene was a turn on for him. I didn’t get it…is he being a man or do you agree with him? Before answering, remember who’s the Naughty Author Chick here…hee-hee!