Thursday, June 5, 2014

The Romance Saga Part 1

By: Casey Crow


Although school is out, my daughter likes to remind me she'll be in middle school next year. The horror! Not because I fear for her as sixth grade was the worst year of my life (mean girls galore!), but sixth grade means I'm officially old. As we were discussing the subject, I was thankful to learn that boys are still "yucky". Whew! But when the time comes, my daughter (aka 11) has informed she already knows all there is know about boys.

According to 11:



1. You do not simply announce you like a boy. You let him know with eye contact that lingers a little too long.

Hmmm...dido for the Old Lady view.



2. You know a boy likes you when he stares back.
Agree.



3. A boy also likes you if he is mean to you.
Following an extensive Q&A, Old Lady learned at "mean" means he teases you, which is the equivalent of flirting for adults. As a side note, I took great pains to clarify that boys should never be "mean mean" to girls.

 4. Boys like it when girls are "mean" back.
True, flirting isn't fun if it's not reciprocated.



5. Boys like girls in bikinis.
I'm not kidding, my child spoke those words and however true they may be I'm a little worried now!


The saga shall continue as information becomes available, but get this - 11 tells me, "I thought I knew a lot about romance, but I just don't get it."
Neither do I sweet girl, but that's the beauty of it.

No comments: