Friday, July 20, 2012

How you know it's a great book

By: Casey Crow

Being a writer myself, I always try to read my "friends" books. Oh, I'll admit the TBR pile is so high Mt. Everest looks small in comparison, but nevertheless, I try. It's weird when I start out reading a book by an author I know. Even if I only "know" them through Facebook or Twitter or had a brief encounter with them at a convention, it makes me think I know them, you know?

Everytime I begin one of these books, I'm overly judgemental, first of all. Then I'm thinking how can such a nice person kill people, write hot sex, or use potty words! Take for example, Cynthia Eden and her Deadly romantic suspense series. It scared the crap out of me, and she is the kindest lady on earth!

But somewhere along the way, I stop thinking my friend said "f*%#" and I lose myself in the story. THAT'S how I know it's a great book. When I get to the point where I can't put it down because I CARE about the characters, then the author has succeeded in writing a great story.

What makes a great book for you?

2 comments:

Wynter said...

I totally agree about Cynthia Eden. She's such a doll yet her books scare the crap out of me. I know a book is great when I can't put it down. It's what we all strive toward.

Jax Cassidy said...

When it's a good read, it's a good read. I love those kinds of books from friends or authors you happen to just pick up on a whim.