Monday, January 2, 2012

Family for Fodder

New Year's is a harmless annual institution, of no particular use to anybody save as a scapegoat for promiscuous drunks, and friendly calls and humbug resolutions. ~ Mark Twain

Now that the holidays are drawing to a close, I am reflecting on the merriment, the gifts, the lessons and THE FAMILY! Why the family? Because all those quirky relatives provide wonderful fodder for building characters.

Instead of bemoaning crazy Uncle Willard's disgusting table manners, I jot down the particulars and file it away in that rolodex of quirks I keep in the back of my brain.

Rather than chide cheap Aunt Penny for re-gifting every single present she received last year, I make a note of her behavior to use when populating my next book.

Hey, every life experience can help to enrich our writing, so why not make the best of each experience. And speaking of the best, what's your best New Year's memory from this or years past. Mine is smooching with DH (then my boyfriend) at the first New Year's party I hosted on my own after college. It was so much fun until the rum and cokes met up with the champagne in my stomach! Now - dish!

Wishing you a happy, healthy New Year.




2 comments:

Callie Croix said...

Yeah, you can't pick your family, can you? Might as well make use of 'em in a book!

Actually, I featured my late grandmother (AKA the quirkiest force of nature I've ever known) in my current WIP. She was larger than life, so I figure it's fitting that I honor her on the page. People will say I'm lying when I tell them the scene is based on truth, but it really happened!

Wynter said...

How nice that you've been able to immortalize her in your own way. Can't wait to read that!