Friday, November 11, 2011

Best Things About the South


By: Casey Crow




Having just returned from the Southern Magic Readers Luncheon in Birmingham, Alabama (got to meet the fabulous Naima Simone!), I experienced southern hospitality at its finest. This got me thinking about other great things about my part of the world, so here's my list of favorites. I hope you will add to it.

1. Sweet tea and sweeter accents
2. Macaroni & cheese is a vegetable and pecan pie is a staple
3. Y'all is a proper noun
4. Smocked dresses and hairbows as big as a little girl's head
5. Front porches are wide and words are long
6. Sultry summer nights that start in April
7. Mardi Gras
8. SEC football
9. Pageants are serious business
10. Everything is darlin' and someone's heart is always blessed




Enjoy life and take advantage of the uniqueness of your area, no matter where you live!

8 comments:

Wynter said...

I'm smiling at your list. Florida might be south of the rest of The South, but we're a little less "southern." I can relate to 7 or 8 of those items;-)

Michelle Polaris said...

Although I've only spent a small amount of time in the South, my favorites are the front porches and lots and lots of ice in all ones drinks.

Casey Crow said...

As nippy as it is today, it never snows where I live. Probably a good thing since I'm about the worst snow skier on the planet, but it sure is pretty to look at!

Jax Cassidy said...

Living in the south, I LOVE sweet tea, especially when it's freshly brewed first.

I had a great experience in Atlanta for Moonlight & Magnolias so I know how you feel. The south is awesome!

Callie Croix said...

Now you're just making me jealous. I wish I was a Southerner, because I love it down there so much. My family swears I was born in the wrong place/era, so they consider me a kind of honorary Southern belle. Can I join the club? Pretty please?

Jina Bacarr said...

I think we should call ourselves "Naughty Southern Belles!" I love the South, too, Casey, having lived in or traveled to Kentucky, Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi and Georgia.

Now I'm in "Southern" CA--does that count?

Casey Crow said...

I think each of us have a little Southern in us all because even as honorary Southern Belles, we have grit and grace.

Anonymous said...

Being from the south too, I couldn't agree with you more, Casey! There's nowhere else I'd rather live. :)