Saturday, September 17, 2011

Book signings

Some people don't think the old-fashioned book signing is worth the time and effort anymore. If you're strictly a numbers person, you may be right. But I'm definitley not of that ilk.

I love meeting readers and potential readers. Because I'm an extrovert, I have no problem talking to people once they've decided to talk to me, but how do you break the ice?

The best ice breaker I ever had was a little promo for The Vampire Next Door that caught people's attention right away. It's a blood bag. Not a real one, silly. That would be gross. No, it's a mini version with cherry syrup in it. The blood type is marked S+ and it's labled Dr. Sweet Tooth. Adorable, right?

Well, picture this...someone is about to walk past me, but I say, "Would you like a bag of blood?" in my best 'vampyric' voice. When they halt in their tracks and stare at me, I say, "Yup. You heard me right," in my normal Boston-American accent. People would take a look at the bag and start laughing. Suddenly they were interested in the book. If not, I simply gave them the "blood" and a bookmark advertising The Vampire Next Door, and told them to have a nice day.

People can be shy or reserved (especially in chilly New England) but if you find a way to make them smile, it's smoother sailing.

I love to make people smile. That's why I write humorous stories. Today, I'll have to do it without cherry syrup. I ran out! But I have a book signing at a new age store in Nashua, NH. If you're in the area, stop by Ancient Moon on W. Pearl Street between 11 and 3. Hey, get your tarot cards read while you're there! Sounds like fun, doesn't it?

But if you don't live around here...don't despair. You can always download one of my vampire or shapeshifter books and enjoy your weekend. I'll do my best to put a smile on your face.

Speaking of smiles, my best seller, Vampire Vintage is now $1.99 and has a gorgeous new cover. It's a novel plus, so quite the bargain! See it on my publisher's website. http://www.jasminejade.com/p-6404-vampire-vintage.aspx
Just copy and paste that url and it will take you right to it. Enjoy!

Ashlyn Chase

9 comments:

Nina Pierce said...

What a wonderful idea. I love it! It would certainly have me stopping and chatting. Have a wonderful time at your booksigning.

Anonymous said...

Ash, you are fantastic with a very clever mind. But then, that's why you write such great, great books. And what a great idea. Good luck today.

Michelle Polaris said...

A friendly smile and humor make all the difference. Good luck at the signing today. I'm sure you can order more blood for the future. Those bags are adorable.

Casey Crow said...

Ashlynn, that's so cool and clever. The promo I use is a bag of instant grits with my card attached because what's more southern than grits? Enjoy your signings!

Jina Bacarr said...

Ashlyn, have a great time at your signing today! With Halloween right around the corner (if you look in the stores, it feels that away), put on a hot costume and you can "vamp" a lot of sales!

Wynter said...

Great idea. I love doing book signings. Enjoy!

Sherry said...

Geez,

Dalton was supposed to take me back there to get my cards read again…I remember that place.. What an amazing place…And those ladies were awesome… Of course, you know for a fact, just that book itself will make me follow you anywhere…

Sherry…

Paige Tyler said...

I love book signings, too! It's so much fun to meet readers! Congratulations on finally getting a new cover!

*hugs*
Paige

Callie Croix said...

You're so brave, Ashlyn! I like talking to readers, but I hate feeling like a salesperson. I admire authors that can get out there and sell their books.

If you're from Boston, does that mean your a BoSox fan? I am. I have a huge, unapologetic crush on Jason Varitek (who just signed a baseball for me, and it's sitting on my mantle). I hope they can squeak it out and make the post season!