Monday, December 13, 2010

Slutting Up the Holidays!

Holiday traditions will never be the same. I'm here today to sing the praises of a very adult alternative to the well-respected, well-loved Christmas tradition of the Nutcracker. While families everywhere will continue to enjoy taking their little ones to this ballet, there's a show out there you will need to leave the little dearies home to attend. The Slutcracker.

Some friends and I decided to get into the spirit of the season last night and traipse out to this fantastic burlesque show where bawdy humor meets vaudeville in a hilarious parody of the familiar ballet. I'd only recently attended my first burlesque show on a girls' weekend trip to Chicago and loved it. Many laughs.

The show's creator, Vanessa White, returned a third year running with this production. In it a young Clara has grown up and is engaged to be married. Her aunt is concerned about her niece's lack of sexual experience, so surprises Clara with the gift of an enchanted dildo. And the festivities begin from there.

Hilarious! And one stellar moment when a pastie flew off a featured dancer. She covered up her breast with one hand, but in the final moments let it all hang out to end the dance with her big moves. We've all seen worse at the movies.

Although the holiday season is rife with lovely traditions, excitement and festive gatherings, it comes with a lot of stress for many. It can be a time of mourning for those who have lost a loved one during this time of year, or whose absence we feel at a moment reserved for sharing with family. So I value any new tradition that lets us relax, kick back, and enjoy with no reservations. My guess is few of the audience associated the Slutcracker with past traditions. It is about creating a new, adult tradition. Why should the kids have all the fun at Christmas?

So if you're lucky enough to be in the New England area this month and can get tickets, I'll give the production a two thumbs up. (I think there's also a few shows in Montreal at the end of December.)

I want to wish all of you out there an advance Merry Christmas. I do not actually celebrate the holiday. My own winter festivities have already wrapped up for December. The latkes and dreidels were lovely, but if I'd known Christmas could be as much fun as the Slutcracker, I might have signed on for the holiday earlier.

Peace and Love,
Michelle

http://www.theslutcracker.com/home.html

7 comments:

Wynter said...

OMG - that sounds hilarious!
I hope you had a happy Hanukkah. I know I don't want to see another latke until next December!

Michelle Polaris said...

Thanks Wynter. Yeah, I'm about done on the latke front. The show was hilarious. I might go again next year.

Dalton Diaz said...

Hey, I live a couple of towns over. Why didn't you tell me about this before?

Jina Bacarr said...

Michelle, what a wonderful idea! Kinda like my naughty Christmas Carol story videos. It's amazing how much fun it is to take a tradition and turn it upside down!

Michelle Polaris said...

Dalton--don't throw anything at me. I may have mentioned it amongst the local writing crew, but it could have gotten lost in the shuffle.

Jina--Yes, just like your videos. I love turning things on their head.

Naima Simone said...

LOL!! The Slutcracker!! That's perfectly awful--and hilarious! Why don't they have anything like this in Alabama...dang bible belt!! *shaking fist*

Michelle Polaris said...

Naima-Why don't you start your own local performance of the Slutcracker? Broaden Alabama's horizons.