Monday, August 16, 2010

Virgin in an Erotic Romance?


Today we welcome erotic romance author Nicole North to the Naughty Chicks clubhouse. Nicole's erotic romance novellas have been described by reviewers as "exciting, high octane, captivating, scintillating, sinfully delicious and pure romance." Her stories contain "heart and heat, killer love scenes, magic and extraordinary characters." Her latest release from Red Sage, a paranormal historical, Beast in a Kilt, is in the Secrets Volume 29 Indulge Your Fantasies anthology. Her last story, Kilted Lover, is contemporary erotic romance novella with a touch of paranormal. Her first story, Devil in a Kilt is in the anthology Secrets Volume 27 Untamed Pleasures. Her works have finaled in over a dozen writing competitions and won several awards. She is a member of Romance Writers of America and three chapters. She teaches online workshops about various aspects of writing, including sexual tension and how to write great love scenes. Though she has a degree in psychology, writing romance is her first love. She and her husband live in the Southeastern US, but she wishes she lived in the Scottish Highlands at least half the year.



Thanks for allowing me to visit with you ladies today!
Virgin in an Erotic Romance? Sure thing! The heroine, Catriona, in my paranormal historical erotic romance, Beast in a Kilt, Secrets Volume 29 Indulge Your Fantasies, is a virgin. But she’s a very adventurous, brazen one. She’s never experienced anything more than a kiss, but she’s seen a few things she shouldn’t have and had an erotic dream. Add to this the fact that she’s been in love with the hero, Torr, for ten years and she’s ready to pursue and seduce him. She may not know what she’s doing, but she’s willing to learn along the way. And hopefully Torr will teach her a few things… okay, several things in the process. I’d always heard it was very difficult, if not impossible, to write a virgin into an erotic romance. I actually found it to be pretty easy. It all goes back to motivation and emotion. Plus she’s not a 30 year old beautiful virgin in modern day (slightly more difficult to believe.) Historical virgins are easier to write, in my opinion. Catriona needs to seduce Torr (she believes) so he’ll marry her and she won’t have to marry the terrible man her mother picked out for her. Death would be preferable. Besides, she’s been in love with Torr and aroused by him even before she know what those two things meant. Torr is determined not to take her virginity because of some possible life-or-death consequences, but that doesn’t prevent him from showing her some other interesting pleasures they might indulge in. But she doesn’t fight fair! He had no idea the innocent little lass could be so manipulative as to spike his drink with aphrodisiac. What’s a hardened Highland warrior to do but give the lady what she wants? How do you feel about virgins or almost innocent heroines in erotic romance? I'll give away a copy of my ebook Kilted Lover to one commenter. I'll put a blurb about Kilted Lover below.


Beast in a Kilt: Scottish lady Catriona MacCain has loved Torr Blackburn, a fierce Highland warrior, since she was a young lass, but Torr only sees Catriona as his best friend’s little sister. When Catriona’s family promises her in marriage to a detestable chieftain, she desperately needs Torr to save her from a fate worse than death. But Torr is under the spell of a witch of the dark arts and is cursed to spend his nights as a kelpie water demon. He doesn’t believe himself worthy of the virginal Lady Catriona. However, she is determined to seduce Torr and claim him… body, heart and soul, if only they can banish the curse and defeat the enemies who have vowed to possess and enslave them both.




Kilted Lover: When kilted cabertosser Scott MacPherson tosses Leslie Livingston over his shoulder to rescue her from two armed thieves trying to steal her priceless amulet, they are thrust into a deadly but sexy adventure. Though Leslie already has a lukewarm, uninterested boyfriend, her attraction to Scott is whitehot and undeniable. She wants to lick this tall, muscular alpha male all over and explore the depths of eroticism with him. But will he want anything more than one night once the danger is behind them?

You can follow Nicole by going to:

15 comments:

Wynter said...

Your stories sound awesome! Virgin heroines are definitely way more plausible in historicals. I never have any trouble believing that. Although they would have to be saucy, as yours sounds.

Gossip Cowgirl said...

Read this book over the weekend and ADORED it!

I think it completely works to write virgins in erotic romance. Historicals, probably primarily. Although I know some beautiful women who were virgins into their mid 20s and had great sexual relationships once they started having sex.

I do think that the virgins need to be at least curious about sex, or know something about sex. But Catriona definitely had that.

Really, great story, Nicole. I highly recommend buying and reading this book! ;-) The scene with the aphrodesiac in his drink... SO HOT!!

Nicole North said...

Thanks Wynter! And thanks so much for allowing me to visit with you ladies today! Virgins can be a lot of fun to write if they're not toooo repressed. :)

Nicole North said...

Rebecca, thanks so much!!! I'm thrilled you enjoyed Beast in a Kilt!! And the aphrodisiac scene! ;) That was fun to write!

Arianna Skye said...

I did it in Wings of Desire. My heroine was a virgin in a contemporary setting. Her friend and her made a vow to wait until they met Mr. Right. Who knew Mr. Right would be a fairy? LOL.

PS: She may have been a virgin, but that didn't stop her from exploring certain things :)

Unknown said...

I can't wait to read this book, Nicole! You write such wonderful, sexy heroes!!!

Savannah Stuart said...

Welcome to Naughty Author Chicks, Nicole! As long as I like the heroine and it's believable I don't care if she's a virgin or not. I've actually written a couple myself! Your latest release sounds super hawt ;)

Cara McKenna said...

Welcome, Nicole!

I've always wanted to write a virgin heroine (and nearly did, until the story totally shifted gears and took off in a different direction, along with her innocence) but haven't quite yet. Love your blurb, by the way—I'm a sucker for a good Highlander historical, and I've yet to read one that's a straight-up erotica. Verra intriguing…

Jina Bacarr said...

Welcome to NAC, Nicole! We are on the same page re: virgins--love them in historicals! The heroine in my latest novel arrives in Japan a virgin bride in the late 19th century. Such a story wouldn't be as believable in a modern setting.

Enjoyed your sexy excerpt!

Carly Carson said...

I wrote a virginal heroine in my latest release. But she's in the future, on a distant planet, and there are cultural reasons for her situation. As you say, it's all about motivation.

The aphrodiasic scene sounds like a must read. I think Secrets 29 has to be my treat when I finally get the kids back to school and can actually read.

Colleen M. said...

I'm glad that you've made this a topic!

I think virgin heroines can make an erotic romance (historical or otherwise) that much hotter.

One of the things that makes me crazy is when you have a virgin heroine in a contemporary who is between 20-29 and her virginity is treated as though there is something wrong with her and the whole focus is on how she can lose it. I am one of those people who didn't lose it until my late 20's and I have friends who were also "late losers". Most of us were concentrating on our education and establishing careers. For me, that didn't leave a lot of time for dating and really getting to know someone I felt sharing that part of myself with.

In fact I've been playing around with a contemporary idea (I mostly write historical westerns, waves to Nicole my fellow HTH chapter member!) where the heroine is "still" a virgin and her friends who find out do anything they can to convince her to lose it.

Good luck with your release, Nicole!

Nicole North said...

Arianna, sounds fantastic! I like a vow as motivation! You're right, there's such a thing as a naughty virgin. LOL

Jena, Wow, thanks so much!!!!! Hope you enjoy Torr!! :)

Savannah, thanks!! I didn't used to like writing virgins. In fact, I've only written one or two. But I knew Catriona had to be a virgin.

Thanks, Cara!! I'm hooked on Highlanders! :) And they can be so hot!

Jina, thanks!! So glad you enjoyed the excerpt!! Your story sounds intriguing! I love 19th century settings too.

Carly, sounds like your heroine has excellent motivation for keeping her virginity. If you read the aphrodisiac scene hope you enjoy it! :) Thanks!!

Coleen, (waving!) I agree. Virgins can be incredibly hot. I think one reason is they allow the author to build the sexual tension to an even higher level beforehand. Sounds like you had great motivation for being a "late loser" :) and I think that's what's important for contemporary heroines who are in their late 20s early 30s. The author can make it believable with the right motivation. Thanks so much!!

Maeve Greyson said...

I LOVE your stories, Nicole! The only problem is...I wouldn't know which one to recommend first because they're all so good. Keep them coming!

Nicole North said...

Wow thanks so much, Maeve!!!!! I'm thrilled you like them! Big hugs!

Dalton Diaz said...

Sorry I'm late to the party - welcome to Nac, Nicole!

I love a good Virgin story, be it the heroine or the hero. Or both. My first book ever is a contemporary (not published - it resides with the dustbunnies) about a couple of virgins. I still take it out, dust it off, delete 500 more exclamation points and slide it back under the bed every once in awhile. The sex in it is great, tho!