Monday, January 4, 2010

Movie Night


I rented a movie a few nights ago while DH was at work. Since I didn't have to consider his taste in flicks, I chose one I knew he'd hate, but that I had been meaning to see. I picked Julie and Julia and was very pleased with my selection. If you are not familiar with the premise, it is actually two true stories - that of Julia Child's journey from housewife to celebrated chef, teacher and author and that of blogger Julie Powell's attempt to cook all the recipes in Child's first cookbook in one year.
Meryl Streep does an amazing job as Julia Child, not an easy task since most people are familiar with Child from her television show or the parody of that show from Saturday Night Live. She even got that high pitched, irritating voice down!
But what really spoke to me about the two stories were the ups and downs each woman experienced along their respective paths to publication. The inevitable failures and the eventual successes.
At one point, Child's husband wonders what he will do when he retires. He asks, what has he created, what has he left behind in his years of service to the US government. He tells Julia she has a book, something people can have and hold and use to create masterpieces.
When she opens the package containing her very first book, I totally related to her euphoric expression. Holding your book in your hand for the very first time is such an indescribable experience.
I also loved the romances in the movie - both Julie's and Julia's marriage. Even though the women were not romance authors, I think most writers would find this movie delightful and uplifting and one they will be able to relate to on several levels.
I hope everyone had a safe and happy New year. I also look forward to Ashlyn Chase joining us beginning January 16th.

6 comments:

Terry Odell said...

Saw this in the theater (which I don't do often), and hubster passed the word to the kids that it would be a nice holiday gift, so I now own it. That and the Star Trek movie.

Wynter said...

Nice gifts! J&J is one I wouldn't mind owning either.

Naima Simone said...

It's funny that when looking at the commercial for a movie I couldn't have imagined the movie had any correlation to myself. I admit, J&J wasn't on my list of must-sees but it is now! Of course, it will have to be a "chick flick" that I rent by myself...

Savannah Stuart said...

I loved that movie. I saw it w/ my sister and it was the perfect chick flick :)

Jina Bacarr said...

Excellent film. It shows that the road of publication is never smooth, but always interesting. Thankz, Wynter!

Wynter said...

Thanks, ladies. Yes - it's definitely one to see without the men;-)