Monday, January 25, 2010

Book Trailer Faerie




Although growing up smack dab at the start of the MTV generation, part of the crowd that grew up witnessing the first music video when Video Killed The Radio Star and entranced by Michael Jackson's dancing zombies in Thriller, I've been a hold out on embracing video technology as part of my writing life. I'm not sure why. I knew I'd never be able to produce a video book trailer myself. My tech know-how extends about as far as pushing the buttons on the microwave. In fact, I'm lucky I figure out how to get my blog to appear on Naughty Author Chicks. Plus, I have the visual design acuity of a flea.

There are many fantastic video book trailers out there, and many more that raise my enthusiasm to a ho-hum yawn. If I had a spare moment to breathe and pursue this idea, would it be worth the money I'd need to pay someone since I had no guarantee if the outcome would match the vision of my story?

There were plenty of writing friends who highly recommended their designers. I get overwhelmed easily, so making a decision about who to choose was just as taxing as deciding to get a trailer done in the first place. Like any good ostrich, I stuck my head in the sand about this issue and let myself be distracted by the million other details of marketing my book.

Then, in the span of two days, I saw announcements to watch two video book trailers both produced by the same designer, Nina Pierce. In fact, since Nina is a writer, one was for her recent release. Lucky duck, she can make her own videos. I wonder if she gives herself a discount? Anyway, I was entranced. It was the first time a trailer I'd seen captured the pacing and emotional intensity I envisioned as similar to what I needed for my novel. I just knew that if I was ever going to do this, she was the gal I needed. So I took the leap. Below is the result and from the first time I clicked to even her draft of the production, I was flabbergasted. I LOVED IT! So much that I desperately wished I could go out to the movie theater and watch the movie. Sigh. There is no movie. Hollywood has yet to approach me, although I sit by the phone patiently each day. But the point is the trailer was so enticing I had that same gut reaction I get watching one of the big production commercials for upcoming blockbusters. Okay, you might not have exactly the same reaction seeing my video, but that's what I felt.

Enough with the tease. Here's my video produced by lovely book trailer faerie Nina Pierce for BOUND ODYSSEY. Go see her work at her DNK Videos site on YouTube for other examples of her stuff. She comes with my highest recommendation. Feel free to comment on what makes a great trailer for you? Both as a reader or as a writer? Did you ever buy a book based on what you saw? Avoid a book for the same reason? Give me your thoughts on the value of this marketing device? In the end, no matter what happens with results, I had a another thrill shiver through me down to my black leather boots.


Michelle







15 comments:

Penny Watson said...

This is gorgeous! One of the best trailers I have seen. Way to go, Michelle and Nina!

Wynter said...

Nice job, very enticing and hot.

Stephanie Adkins said...

I love it! Very very hot! :)

Nina Pierce said...

I'm so happy you like it so much, Michelle. A hot story like yours made for easy production of a such a sexy book trailer. *grins*

Sherry said...

I really liked your book trailer it was hot. I haven't ever bought a book because of the book trailer. I usually by mine because of the back of the book or I've heard about it from blogs or friends.

Dalton Diaz said...

They have entire contests devoted to trailers, and we had a room devoted to viewing book trailers at Romanticon. There were always people there!
Nina and Michelle, I LOVE this trailer. Great job

Katie Reus said...

I've never bought a book b/c of a trailer but I think yours is fabulous. I hope you get a lot of exposure from it :)

Michelle Polaris said...

Penelope, Wynter, Stephanie, Nina, Sherry, Dalton and Katie, thanks so much for the compliments. Nina, of course thank you the most for designing it for me. Sherry, Dalton and Katie, I appreciate your thoughts on book buying and trailers. I'm always fascinated by how people make choices and what impacts them the most. There are so many fabulous stories out there. I get overwhelmed when I stop to think about it. I hope everyone has a great day. It's overcast and raining buckets here so I'm fighting to keep the smile. It's easier to do after checking in on these comments.

Sarah said...

Fantastic trailer! I'd definitely go & see the movie :o) I'm looking forward to the book too LOL

Michelle Polaris said...

Sarah,
When the movie comes out we can go together. But the book is already available, thankfully, so I got to find out how it ended (grin):)

Naima Simone said...

Hi, Michelle!
I've said it before and I"ll say it again. The trailer is beautiful!! From the music to the pictures to the story...sigh...makes me wish it was a movie!! LOL!

As a fan of Nina's you made the perfect choice. Nina, you are awesome!!

Congratulations to both of you!

Beth Caudill said...

Great trailer. As a reader, I don't usually watch trailers. I go for the writing not how something looks. ;)

But as an author, it seems to be a promotional tool. Although, I'm starting to feel that it's on the outs or not as big. But that could just be because I don't follow Youtube and that stuff. I did have a trailer created for my novella...so I hopped on the band wagon. Still don't know if it is worth it or not.

Good Luck with Sales.

Confucius Cat said...

Loved seeing your trailer. My blueray player streams youtube so I could watch it on the big screen. Very hot. Good luck. Patricia Mason

Adele Dubois said...

Michelle,

Your trailer is excellent! Nina did a great job. She really got me interested in reading the book. Very nice! (And naughty!)

Best--Adele

Michelle Polaris said...

Thanks Naima, Beth, Patricia and Adele. I think it's deliciously hot and naughty myself. I love drama.