Friday, October 23, 2009

Happy Friday

Only recently have I gotten into reading series books. For the most part I've always been more of a single-title, stand-alone kind of reader. Thanks to Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunters and Roxanne St. Claire's Bullet Catchers, I now sing a different tune. I think the reason I like their books so much (apart from the amazing writing of course) is that I don't have to read the books in order. With SK's books, sometimes I feel like I might be missing something, but the way she world-builds is practically seamless so I never feel lost. I love it when characters from other books make brief appearances. It's like visiting an old friend :)

Why am I bringing this up? Next week my first paranormal will be released from Ellora's Cave (Unleashed Temptation) and I'm currently working on the next book in what I hope will be a series. When I first wrote Unleashed Temptation, I didn't plan to write it this way, but Nick (the hero in UT), has a brother who decided he wanted his own story. I now have a new respect for authors who write connected books. Once I finally mapped out all the characters and their connections, it was much easier, but drawing out an entire family tree along with developing character sketches for each member was quite time consuming. I think it's going to be worth it though because I've already got two more story sketches ready to go.

Since this post is short, I've included some man candy for your viewing :) As a reader, what do you think of series books? What are your favorite series (if you like them)?

5 comments:

Dara Edmondson said...

I've never really gotten into series, but I have read a couple of Roxanne's books and I love them. Can't wait for your new series!

s7anna said...

I'm rather addicted to series...I love Lora Leigh's Breeds series, Moira Rogers "Red Rock" series, Vivian Arend wolf series, Bonnie Rose Leigh's shifter series...there are just so many that I do love...it's hard to note them all down...Kay Hooper's Shadow, Evil, and Blood series (3 individual series')...Lora Leigh's Bound series and her Men of August series...not to mention the Nauti series...Jayne Ann Krentz "Arcane Society" series...

Happy Reading!!!
Anna Shah Hoque
s7anna@yahoo.ca

Asylumgirl said...

What's not to love? You get to know all of the characters better, so instead of that sad feeling you get at the end of a good book, the joy is extended to several books. What bliss! lol

Deidre

Savannah Stuart said...

I can't believe I forgot Kay Hooper! Her books are hit or miss with me, but I love the 'Fear' books from the Bishop Crime Unit series :)

Terry Odell said...

I love "real" series, where you stay with the same characters. JD Robb's "In Death" series is an auto-buy for me. I read a lot of mysteries, so I love following characters.

It's harder to find "real" series in romance. (Although I did write an actual sequel to one of my books: same h/h) They tend to be more 'connected' books. And I know what that's like, because those secondary characters insist on having their own stories told.