Monday, October 26, 2009

The Halloween Mystique



I'm so excited that it's almost Halloween, my very favorite holiday. No - I'm not some devil worshiping nut, I just love all the costumes and the fantasies come to life. I suspect many people live out their fantasies by being something, wearing something or acting a way they'd never have the nerve to on any other day. What costume one chooses reveals a lot about them. This particularly holds true for women. When the librarian or the secretary dresses up as a dominatrix or the scantily clad French maid, maybe they are giving us a glimpse into their fantasies.
For many readers, erotic romance fills a similar need. It allows the reader to "become" that daring heroine. Through a book, she can do all sorts of wild things she's only dreamed of. She can become the everyday woman who is taken to be a Prince's courtesan as my heroine was in Captured. She can be the woman in danger, protected by a man who will lay down his life for her. She can be an heiress cloistered by a bodyguard who wants no one but her or the Geisha every man desires. She can pick up a book and become her heart's desire.
So romance books and Halloween really have a lot in common. And now I want to know. What costume would you choose if you could be anything?

4 comments:

s7anna said...

I would probably choose to be a harem girl...

Happy Reading!!!
Anna Shah Hoque
s7anna@yahoo.ca

Dara Edmondson said...

A harem girl! I like that. You'd probably enjoy Anne Rice's Sleeping Beauty erotica series.

Savannah Stuart said...

I would so be Alice from the Resident Evil movies. I'd get to wear kick ass boots and kill zombies ;)

Dara Edmondson said...

Well, if you're going to have to kill zombies, you may as well do it in kick ass boots!