Thursday, July 9, 2015

Summer Gazpacho

It's finally acting like summer around here, and the hot, humid days (& nights!) remind me of one of my favorite summer meals, which reminds me of my mom. You know how everyone has at least one dish they are famous for making/bringing to a party? Mom had three, one of which was her Gazpacho. My dad proposed to my mom in Spain, and she came back with a ring and adapted this recipe from a Spanish cookbook. This dish meant so much to her that she had a Gazpacho serving set!

Dalton's Mom's Gazpacho
(Warning! Base must be made at least 3 hrs in advance, preferably day before.)

1        28oz Tomato Juice (NOT V8! I use low sodium)
2        Green Peppers, medium size
2     English Cucumbers, peeled
1/2  Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2/3  Cup Red Wine Vinegar
2       Onions, medium
4       Peeled Tomatoes, large
1      TBL  Salt (or less)
1/4  tsp Tabasco
1/4  tsp Garlic Powder

In a blender, combine 2 tomatoes, 1 cucumber, 1 onion, ½ green pepper, and 1 cup tomato juice. Blend for 30 seconds. Mix remaining tomatoes juice with the puree, add olive oil, wine vinegar, Tabasco, salt and pepper. Chill for minimum of 3 hours, preferably overnight.
This is the base. If you taste it now, it won't be good! You have to wait.

Chop more green peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions into small bite-size pieces and serve with base. I like to put the base in a large bowl and each veggie in a separate bowl so people can choose what they like. Also good as extras: cilantro, red pepper, avocado, fresh lime wedges, hot chilis.



No comments: