Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Civil War Re-enactors -- wanna be a soldier or a lady?



Photo Credit:
Two Ladies Civil War Reenactors
© Larry Metayer | Dreamstime.com


Imagine it's 1862 and your husband is off to fight and you want to be near him...or your ma is alone with a family to feed...no job available to you...men worked as schoolteachers and nurses had to be over thirty and plain.

But you're pretty good with a rifle, in fact, you're damned good.

So why not be a soldier?

More than 400 women (estimates range as high as 750) answered the call to arms during the War Between the States. They fought and died as soldiers...

I always wanted to explore what it was like for these women...but through the eyes of a modern day woman who travels back in time to the Battle of Antietam on September 17, 1862 dressed as a Confederate officer. (I'm doing a final read-through on my manuscript as I write...)

In the photo above, you see two modern day female re-enactors -- one dressed as a soldier and one dressed in petticoats.

If you were going back in time to the Civil War, which would you rather be?

A soldier?

Or a lady?

~Jina

Photo Description:

SMITH MOUNTAIN LAKE, VA - SEPT 7: two ladies Civil War re-enactors at the “Franklin County Civil War Days” on Sept 7, 2013 in Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia.
Photo taken on: September 07th, 2013


UPDATED:

I’m very excited to announce that my Civil War Time Travel "LOVE ME FOREVER" is up on Kindle Scout website for a month long campaign beginning Sunday, March 29, 2015.

For more info on the Kindle Scout Program CLICK HERE. This is where you, the reader, can choose which books are published. A super idea and fun for both readers and writers.

 LOVE ME FOREVER on Kindle Scout -- you can read the first 5,000 words HERE. You'll meet both my heroines and both my heroes in the excerpt. If you nominate my story and it's published by Kindle Scout, then you'll receive a free copy! It's a saga of love and romance and war of more than 500 pages. Believe me, I walked every road, fought every battle with my characters, even walked around in a hoop skirt to "get it right." This is a book of the heart...any questions? Please ask!!

No comments: