Friday, January 30, 2015

Word of the Year



A couple of years ago, I noticed in Debbie Macomber’s newsletter that at the beginning of each year, she selects a word to focus on for that year. In 2013, she used “Submit”. 2014 brought on “Light” and this year it’s “Bouquet.” See her You Tube video to learn more about “Bouquet” and how “Light” played out. As someone of Debbie’s great influence tends to do, she inspired me to come up with my own words.

“Strong” was my word for 2013, as in finding inner strength since that was a very difficult time period in my life right after a messy divorce. I focused on picking myself up, starting over, and creating a new life for myself no matter what obstacles I faced, and there were plenty!

When 2014 rolled around, I was on my way to being back on my feet so I centered on the word “Empower”. I really loved rocking that word! I worked hard to get my self-confidence back and knowing I could take care of myself. There’s a lot of “Empower”-ment once that happens even when, as you invariably will, run into bumps and bruises along the way.

I figure I’ve spent the past two and half years focusing on getting myself together. Now it’s time to turn my attention to less self-centered matters. “Forgive” is my word for 2015. I’m going to be working on forgiving those who have hurt me and especially trying to forgive myself for every bad I have ever done. Somehow, I think “Forgive” just might be the hardest word of all to see to fruition! We can’t control other people, but we can adjust our expectations. There’s this great saying by John Maxwell: “Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% of how you react to it.” Letting go of any bitterness and/or regret you may have will ultimately make you a happier, more positive person who can accomplish anything!

Got any ideas for your 2015 Word of the Year?

Southern Smiles,
Casey Crow

No comments: