Thursday, March 20, 2014

Vanity Has Its Place

I’ve battled my weight since puberty, pretty much since the DD’s came into being. I’ve been up, I’ve been down, and I’ve done stupid things to get down and maintain. Through it all, I was never happy with my weight. Oh, I’ve looked back and wondered why the hell I wasn’t happy with my weight at certain times, but always years later...when I’m not happy about whatever my current weight is at that point. It’s an endless circle, trust me.

If you’ve been there, you know exactly what I’m talking about.

Why am I bringing this up now? Or at all? Pick one:

* Because my body is starting to hate me. I mean, hurt me.

* Because I go to conferences with hot young guys who have muscles on their muscles.

* Because I had walking pneumonia for over 2 weeks and lost a grand total of 3 pounds.

* Because Stud worked his ass off and won us a cruise that departs in 2 months - where I’ll be wearing a bathing
suit in front of his coworkers, who are 10 - 20 yrs younger.

Sigh. Vanity never had me running for exercise equipment before, unless it was to grab a piece of laundry draped across it. For some reason that last bullet is hitting home, and I think it’s because I’m not as good as I could be. There’s a difference between trying to hold off aging and being healthy about aging, but the latter isn't going to happen either, if I don't get off my ass.

So as of Monday, I’ve been eating even smarter and dug out the Total Gym. I’ve walked every day. The only thing that hasn’t changed is my morning coffee because that would just be insane.

Wish me luck!


5 comments:

Jocelyn Dex said...

Good luck! I feel your pain.

Anonymous said...

You can do it! and it's not vanity to want to take care of yourself ;-) And whatever works as a motivator LOL is good

Peggy

Dalton Diaz said...

Thanks! Getting healthy is the goal, but the cruise is definitely the NOW motivator.

Victoria Adams said...

I hear you loud and clear. I'm in a belly dance troupe with a lot of younger bodies that look awesome in the costume. I want to hide behind the curtain.
Have fun on your cruise.

Ash said...

Ah! I know the feeling well. Fortunately, you're fighting the good fight. You could easily throw your hands up and say, "F-it".

I think the trap is comparing yourself to others. You/we all need to see our pretty spots, not just the ones that need work. That's not vain, it's truth.