Tuesday, March 4, 2014

NAC Guest Interview: Tina Donahue



Today I’m interviewing the fabulous author Tina Donahue! I hope everyone can take a minute to give a warm welcome from Naughty Author Chicks!

CSP: Tina, Welcome to NAC! Tell us a little about your writing. What type of stories do you like to write? Any favorite character types? Any themes you find especially inspiring?

TD: I like writing about characters with depth. The closer they are to real people the more I enjoy delving into their stories. For example, in Sensual Stranger, Toni’s flat broke and seemingly out of luck. Zach lost his wife in a terrible accident. They’re two lonely people who find a home when they find each other. In His Arms is a dark tale of sexual slavery, a woman at risk, and a man’s redemption. Even though I’ve read the end hundreds of times, I still cry.

For me, even erotic romance has to be more than simply about sex. The stories have to go beneath the lust to the characters’ core, what makes them tick, why they behave as they do. Often, they’re broken souls who’ve finally found another chance at love.

CSP: Amen to that! What is your favorite part of the writing process? What are your most dreaded tasks? Anything special you do to get through the tough parts?

TD: I like second drafts. Far easier than the first. The dreaded parts are plotting. Trying to get everything to jibe. Novels are a million details, and sometimes the details seem like they will kill you.
 
For the tough parts, I just keep rewriting until the story sounds right. It always does, eventually. It’s just murder getting there at times.

CSP: What’s a typical day look like for you? What’s your writing schedule? When you’re not writing what are you doing?

TD: I get up at 2 am to write before my EDJ (Evil Day Job). Then after I’m through with my job for the day, I go back to writing. I write every day except for Christmas. Last Christmas was an exception to that. I had edits to get out, so I worked that day too.

When I’m not writing, I’m tooling around in my car (love to drive), visiting the mall (love to shop), and watching suspense movies.

CSP: You’re a dedicated woman! What author is your work most like? What author would you like to be more like?

TD: Wow. I can’t really say. I’d like to think I’m unique. J I admire so many authors, but I guess the ones that have really impressed me are Lawrence Sanders, Margaret Atwood, Hilma Woltizer, the Brontes, and on and on.
 
CSP: Nice list! Now for the fun stuff. If you could be any paranormal creature, what would you be?

TD: Hmmm. Maybe a witch. Would love to cast spells and have all the money I needed.

CSP: What’s your favorite comfort food?

TD: Chocolate.

 CSP: (grin) Me too. What do you do to relax?

TD: Read. Watch films. Drive.

CSP: What is your favorite guilty pleasure?

TD: Believe it or not, I love reading the comments on controversial news reports. The way people go at each other simply stuns me.

CSP: Now tell us about your current projects and where we can purchase it. Where can we find you on the web?

TD: Seven Sensuous Days, book four in my Appointment with Pleasure series, releases March 5. You can find me just about everywhere on the web, but my home base is: http://www.tinadonahue.com/

Here’s the blurb for Seven Sensuous Days.

At an erotic auction, she’s his to bid on…to take…to command.

The night’s sultry, filled with carnal promise as Tessa participates in an agency event to raise money for charity. She’s chained and bared—as women were once displayed for a sultan’s harem—her sweet looks and full figure offered to the wealthy and powerful men.

Among them is Logan. To him, Tessa is so different from his late wife, the seemingly perfect female who cruelly stole his hope and future. Wanting only to forget and have a good time, he wins Tessa, demanding she be his in every way possible, engaging in all wanton acts, though not only for an evening…for seven sensuous days at his secluded Virginia estate.

A provocative proposal with such a dangerously virile man.

A week that changes everything, with Tessa’s exquisite vulnerability and Logan’s suddenly unquenchable desire more than either bargained for.

CSP: Tina, sounds like another incredibly hot, emotional read! Thanks for sharing, and thanks for stopping by at NAC!

3 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

Thanks for hosting me today.

Melissa Keir said...

I love Margaret Atwood too. Did you ever read her book Good Bones and Simple Murders? What a fun book!

It's always fun to learn more about you! I wish you all the best with your latest. It looks amazing!

Tina Donahue said...

Hey, Melissa - I've read a number of Atwood's books, but not that one. I'll have to get it. Thanks for dropping by! :)