Friday, October 25, 2013

Make your writing come to life

By: Casey Crow

I'm taking a detour from our normal topics here at Naughty Author Chicks to talk about figurative language. Dictionary.com defines it as "speech or writing that departs from literal meaning in order to achieve a special effect or meaning."

We all use it (or should) in our writing, but recently I was reminded of what some of the figurative language is actually called thanks to my daughter's school project. I'm proud to say I remembered most of the terms from my schooling way back when, but a couple I'd definitely forgotten about even though I use the process in my writing. Now I know what I'm writing!

Alliteration: The repetition of usually initial consonant sounds in two or more neighboring words or syllables. Ex: Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers.

Hyperbole: Huge exaggeration usually with humor. Ex: My cat is so fat, she needs a roller skate to keep her stomach off the floor.

Metaphor: Comparing two unlike things without using like or as. Ex: My aunt's hair is a disco ball.

Personification: Giving something human qualities. Ex: The daisies danced in the breeze.

Cliché: A word or phrase that has become overly familiar or common place. Ex: Humpday!

Idiom: A set expression of two or more neighboring words that mean something other than the literal meaning. Ex: Knock my socks off!

Onomatopoeia: Naming a thing or an action by imitating a sound associated with it. Ex: Roar!

Simile: Comparing two unlike things using like or as. Ex: My cousin's hair is like a yoga ball.


Again, thanks to my daughter for allowing me to share her figurative language suggestions. What's your way to bring your writing to life?

No comments: