Thursday, July 25, 2013

Mad Addiction

  

 Stud and I have a new addiction. Mad Men. Yes, we're late to the party - about 6 years late! Thanks to Netflix, we're finally catching up to the rest of the world. We just watched the end of season 2.

This would be a good place to insert that if anyone posts a comment giving anything away, I will have to hunt you down and kill you. Thank you. 


What is it about this show that we love? I honestly can't say. The 60's references are a hoot. More for Stud than for me, 'cuz yannow I'm soooooooo much younger than he. Okay, okay, we can safely take a few o's off. What-ever! Love the clothes, hairstyles, the props, etc., but Holy Moly the smoking (And the drinking comes in a close second)! I do wonder about the actors themselves and their health. I looked it up and read that the cigarettes aren't real, but what they are inhaling isn't all that safe, either. Gotta wonder about their future.


The male characters in the show are all pigs - every last one of them. The only one even slightly redeemable is the head of TV guy, and I fully expect him to lower his already compromised standards. The writing and acting behind all of this male piggery is nothing short of brilliant. I don't like them as people and would want nothing to do with any of them in real life, but I can't wait to see what they'll do next.

Again, inserting that if anyone posts a comment giving anything away, I will have to hunt you down and kill you. Thank you.


The women are another story. For them, marriage was the ultimate goal, and sadly, the killer of their individuality. A wife was there to do her duty for her man and family, and do it perfectly. Well, guess what? Nobody is perfect, and trying to be so will only cause failure. Oh, and it's boring. Joan and Peggy have potential, but we're only in season 3, so I don't know how their stories will develop on the career/marriage/love front. I can't wait to find out.

Yada, yada, yada...hunt you down...you know the drill.


Personally, I'm glad I wasn't of that generation. While my main job is a wife and mother, it's a far cry from what that used to mean - television extremes and all. Besides, I'd be screwed; I don't drink or smoke, and cleaning isn't high on my list, either. I do wear an apron sometimes, but only because I'm a klutz.

Time to watch another couple of episodes.




5 comments:

Ashlyn Chase said...

Unlike the rest of the world, I don't watch the show. I saw a few episodes and threw up. Now I'm watching Orange is the New Black, and I'm loving it. guess I'd rather see women in prison for real, than the one society put us in before women's lib.

Amber Skyze said...

I've never seen an episode either. :)

nooknutt said...

I don't have "cable" so I've never watched it either!

Jacki

Dalton Diaz said...

Yes, but I'm watching the empowerment begin. At least, I hope I am!

This is through Netflix. We can get it thru the Xbox!

Victoria Adams said...

Haven't watched a single episode.
And I'm not offering any giveaways.