Thursday, May 30, 2013

Graduation Weekend

I thought I was a hard ass. No, not had/have a hard ass - that would mean exercising, which is right up there with kissing a Tarantula, or eating Brussels Sprouts, neither of which is likely to happen.

I’m talking about watching my last 2 kids (twin boys, if you're a newbie to my posts) graduate high school. I’ve been there twice before, though both were nearly a decade ago. My first son went military and off to war in 2002. Next son headed off to college a year later. If you asked me two weeks ago how I felt about the last two finally hitting this marker, all  I said was, “relieved.” Really, when you send your first born off to war, the rest is gravy, right?

I thought I was set, but in the last couple of weeks the nostalgia has slowly been creeping in on me. It literally exploded as I plowed through over 600 pictures to make up some books for their grad party. Now it hits at the oddest moments. In line at the grocery store, suddenly wondering how often I’ll be going once they’re out of the house. When I get a hug out of nowhere. When they truly appreciate something I've cooked for them. When I see a parent with young twins, though that one still holds mostly relief that I’m on this end of things.

Thankfully, these moments are usually offset pretty soon by stinky feet and failure to move their asses when I need them to do something around the house. Or when they don't feel it's necessary to fill me in on their schedules and just expect to use my car when they need it.

Overall, I’m still ready for this moment. More than ready. Better yet, Stud and I think they are ready, too.

Oh, and Happy Anniversary, Stud! You’re still my hero.

8 comments:

Amber Skyze said...

Happy Anniversary and congrats! :)

Victoria Adams said...

right up there with kissing a tarantula - lol.

Graduation is so hard on parents - the joy and relief.

Happy anniversary.

Dalton Diaz said...

Anniv is actually tomorrow. Once again, we won't spend it together. ROFLMAO! Stud will be helping with setup for the all night grad party, and one of us has to stay with mom. Advice to those choosing a wedding date - stay away from Grad time. It will bite you in the ass many times in later years!

Then again, it's all a connected celebration, isn't it? Dammit, there go the warm fuzzies again!

Sherry said...

Considering how much your boys love their mommy and your cooking.. I'm thinking these 2 will be a lot like your other 2... home whenever they can get there...

Ashlyn Chase said...

I wasn't expecting empty nest nostaligia either, and then...wham. My cousin's only daughter graduated and left for college at the same time, so fortunately, we had each other.

If you need a shoulder, I'm here!

Alostpen9uin said...

Love it! Congrats DD and Stud and family!

VenusBookluvr said...

Wow, enjoy the milestones! And Hardass or Marshmellow, you will always be our DD :-)

Dalton Diaz said...

Whew, long hot night at Sr Recognition night. 90 degrees, a couple hundred people in the gym, and no air conditioning! Another one tomorrow morning, then the big finale. Whew!