Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy 2013!

Another year--where did the time go? 2012 has been a year of ups and downs, and 2013 promises more of the same here in the Pape household. Then again, isn't that always the way it goes? At least we survived the Mayan apocalypse. :)

I don't do resolutions, but I do have some goals. Here are my 13 things to do in '13. I've been doing this since '05 and add one new one to the list each year, tweaking as necessary.

1. Learn at least one new skill
2. Make at least one brand new friend
3. Reconnect with at least one old friend I’ve lost touch with
4. Visit at least one place I’ve never been before
5. Try at least one totally new food
6. Listen to at least one new kind of music
7. Attempt at least one physical activity I’ve never tried
8. Find at least one new way to volunteer/help others
9. Write at least one story that is totally out of my comfort zone. (This year, this is amended to, "...and get my writing groove back." 2012 was an off year for me creatively, and I need to get myself over the hump and back into loving what I do.)
10. Find at least one new way to have fun with my husband and/or family
11. Do at least one thing to make my surroundings more attractive and functional
12. Catch up on at least one thing I've neglected with regard to my well-being.
13. Take at least one overnight trip that isn't work related for either the spouse or myself

So there you go. Notice they're short and specific: nothing general like eat healthier or quit beating myself up when I make mistakes, although those are important too. But my yearly goals are meant to be concrete and definable. Did I meet all of them this year? Probably not. But it sure gives me something to strive for. :)

1 comment:

Casey Crow said...

Hey - at least you make resolutions! That in itself is something to be proud of. Change starts with intent.