Thursday, December 13, 2012

Holiday Appetizer

I'm about to divulge a family recipe. Wait, it's from my ex-Step-MIL...does that count? I don't know where she originally got it, but I've had it in my arsenal for over 25 years now. The ex is long gone, but I trot the recipe out about once a year, usually at Christmas time. I brought it to a party tonight, and they were gone in ten minutes and there were multiple requests for the recipe.

Besides, they're balls. No, not Schwetty Balls--

Spinach Balls

1 package Frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 cup of seasoned stuffing mix (I use Pepperidge Farms Herb Seasoned)
Scant 1/2 cup grated Kraft Parmesan cheese
2 eggs lightly beaten
1/3 cup butter or margarine
1 tsp minced onion
1 dash nutmeg

Grease baking sheet, mix everything together, we hands and roll into approximately 1 inch balls (no larger). Refrigerate at least 4 hours to set.

Bake at 400 degrees for 10 - 12 minutes (until sizzling and becoming slightly browned).  Enjoy!

Bonus: these can be made ahead and frozen for up to 6 months! Just add about 3 min to the cook time if frozen.

4 comments:

Maggie Nash said...

Oh yummy! They sound so easy too! Thanks DD :-)

Dalton Diaz said...

I swear, you won't be disappointed.

Ashlyn Chase said...

Sounds so easy even I could do it!
And, hey. That makes it worth going through the first marriage, right? (Well, that and your two oldest kids.) LOL

Naima Simone said...

Wow, that sounds soooo good! I loved spinach balls too! That sounds so naughty...Snicker! But these are definitely on the list for the new things I try out this year. My son has convinced me to make an attempt at homemade funnel cakes...somehow I think the spinach balls are going to be the tastier turnout...LOL! Merry Christmas, Dalton!