Thursday, November 1, 2012

Halloween '12

Halloween at my house is a family affair. The twins are off to college next year, and it was bittersweet to realize that this could well be our last scarefest. It really depends where they land. This year, a girlfriend got into the act. No, she isn't normally faceless!
My job every year is to get the candy, carve the pumpkins, make sure everyone gets fed before and after the scarefest (or both), and to scour the stores after Halloween for the next year's  additions.

There's a headless horseman pumpkin around somewhere, but I didn't get a pic of him. The guy in the back is supposed to be from Gears of War, but his freakin' face came apart right at go time. I put back what I could with toothpicks.






I did actually get to scare people this year. The guys made me a coffin to stand in, and I was hiding a mini flashlight to make the baby go off. You have to imagine it without the camera flash - pitch black. We have a lot of props and usually have 2 or 3 scarecrows that leave them guessing what's real and what's not, so a surprising majority didn't know I was real. Until I moved. The mom's were especially fun to scare. They scream the loudest.











 At the end of the porch, after passing a scary guy at the end of the driveway to lead them in, past graveyards, motion skeletons, etc., past DH, then me on the porch, there was the bucket of candy. Big bars to entice. 

Look closely at the back right corner. Now picture it again as pitch black. Even the ones who figured out from last year that there was likely a guy in a Morph Suit hiding somewhere, had no idea when or where he'd strike. He was great. For the little kids, he'd reach into the bucket at the same time. Bigger kids & adults, he'd full on pop out and scare them, or he'd sneak up behind them. They'd get their candy and just when they thought it was safe, turn to go. My ears are still ringing. 


























So Happy Halloween from the Demon Family. You can see now where my baby gets his green skin.
Maybe it will be just as good if we only have some of the stuff out and kids have to ring the doorbell on the right to get candy next year. What do you think?

I'm part of The Romance Junkies Halloween Contest, now through November 29th!

 http://www.romancejunkies.com/halloweencontest2012/library.html
Check out the ghost in the fireplace

To see all of the authors attending and their giveaways:
http://www.romancejunkies.com/halloweencontest2012/halloweenmainpage.html


 I've never had much luck with video on blogger, but if it works...

6 comments:

Victoria Adams said...

wow - you do love Halloween.

Maggie Nash said...

That looks like so much fun! What a hoot! We don't really do Halloween here in Oz, but it's getting more popular. Mostly Halloween costume parties for the adults and some Trick or Treating kids. But what your family does is amazing! Love it!

Ashlyn Chase said...

I know how much you enjoy this every year. I hope the twins stay local so you can continue the tradition.

I was hiding in my livingroom with the lights out. Put candy in the mailbox with a sign so kids wouldn't come all the way down our scary driveway.

Dalton Diaz said...

It is amazing how much of a family affair this has become over the last 15 years or so. I can't think of anything other than video games that the boys will do together. And they fight over the video games.

Wynter Daniels said...

How fun. We do it up for Halloween too - more when our kids were younger.

Naima Simone said...

I know I'm late seeing this but...THIS IS FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!