Thursday, September 6, 2012

Drive Me Crazy

When did I lose custody of my car?

I kind of know how it happened. Kind of. The twins are seniors, and they can drive. We had an extra car when my mom stopped driving. Ergo, it made sense - at the time - to pay for a parking pass. Right? Yes, I’m still trying to qualify the decision.

In my defense, I was talked into it by my husband. My first response was a resounding, “HELL NO!” The school bus is free in our town. If they don’t want to ride it as seniors, they can freakin’ walk. Then hubby pointed out that most of my afternoon is spent picking up kids from sports, after school work, etc., which I wouldn’t have to do anymore. We have the extra car, so why not?

I should have listened to my first instinct.

Fast forward to the beginning of school. It’s now many, many months after we had to pay for that parking pass. In that time, mom hired someone to drive her around - in her car. Hubby happily goes off to work in the morning-  in his car. Which leaves the boys using - you guessed it - MY car.

WTF?

This was the first week. I can already tell you that it’s not going to work. Duh. I don’t have a freakin’ car until either mom comes home or the boys do. That’s sometime between 1 and 2:30 in the afternoon. It also means that by putting errands off, I’m running around just as much every afternoon when I finally get a car.

I am still going to try to make this work. We paid for the damn pass, and it wasn't cheap. Besides, if everyone is out of the house, I can claim it as my writing time. Makes sense in theory, right?

Uh huh. I want my damn car.




9 comments:

Ashlyn Chase said...

What if you made them rent one of the cars? You could charge them much less than a real rental, but at least you'd be getting something for either your or your mom's inconvenience.

Cindy Spencer Pape said...

Right with you, love. My two shared a car, but now that they BOTH have jobs and go to separate community colleges, I'm still stuck car-less until one of the three (including the dh) gets home.

Dalton Diaz said...

Not a bad idea, Ash. At least fill the thing with gas every couple of weeks!

Cindy, I'm sorry to hear that I'm not alone in this. It's just not right!

Wynter Daniels said...

We made both our kids get jobs the summer before their senior year. Then we agreed to match their contribution for their own car. I shared with my daughter for a few months - which was no fun. I feel for you.

Dalton Diaz said...

They mow lawns and shovel snow and make good money at it, but a "regular" job is hard to find around here. They apply all the time. One has an unpredictable baseball schedule spring - fall, and the other had a job, but the place is going under and he got laid off after almost a year.

Maggie Nash said...

I went through this a while back when number one son was still at home and working. My job was close to work so he dropped me off and then kept my car. However, he would complain when he had to come and collect me! Go figure! I was so glad when he got his own car.

I guess you can look at it as the writing workday :-) Make the negative a positive LOL

Dalton Diaz said...

I am trying, but I am also really irritated after only 1 week!

Casey Crow said...

Ha! I just want mine to stay clean. What's up with all the litle toys I keep finding, and I was not happy about that nasty chewed up gum stuff in the cup holder.

Dalton Diaz said...

There's that, too, Casey! I got in the other day, and there was red splatter on the steering wheel. Unfortunately, it wasn't blood...YET. I knew right away that one of them got into my Twizzler car stash and laughed with his mouth full. Since only one of them likes Twizzlers, I know which one will be scrubbing down my car.

Yep, still irritated!