Thursday, August 16, 2012

Besties


Every time I watch a romantic comedy, there's always a featured character who is THE best friend and I have to wonder if I've been deprived of having one of my own. Sure, I've accumulated quite a lot of really really really good friends, but I can't say that I've had that one token best friend that I know better than I know myself. 

Don't laugh, but I used to be jealous of those friends who would go on and on about their "besties", and it occurred to me that maybe it's not too late to have one of my own. Okay, it may be a bit juvenile in thinking, but is it so wrong to want to meet that kindred spirit, that soul mate who will be there for you no matter what? I'm not talking about the sibling or boyfriend or spouse...I'm talking about someone to share all your secrets with and know that they'd be willing to commit any unimaginable sins with you. No questions asked. That kind of bestie...the one who will pick you up when you're down, kick your ass when you're out of line, pull an intervention when you don't want to see the truth, or have tequila shots all night long when you've suffered a terrible break up. 

The more I thought about it, the more I realized that this person does exist. This person is a combination of five of my closest friendsand each one of them have been with me during all the most crucial stages of my life...from emotional meltdowns to wild celebrations...In fact, there have been several who have sat with me on the cold, hard bathroom floor while I puked my guts out after a night of binge drinking, then helped me clean up and tucked comfortably under the covers. Of course those incidents are far and fewahem...Don't judge. :) Who hasn't done that? BUT, my besties do exist! Those are the same ones I'd reciprocate the favor on any occasion. 

Each and every one of my precious friends will be there for me when I need them most...but the best part of all is knowing that I can call them today, tomorrow, or in the future and they'd do everything in their power to be with me. To support me. To love me. 

Hmm, maybe I don't have a reason to be jealous of not having that single digit "bestie". Maybe I'm actually the one others are jealous of because I have several amazing besties? Seeing things from that perspective, it's a great feeling to know I'm not alone. 

I was never alone.


5 comments:

Wynter said...

I have to agree - having several besties myself. I think we are super lucky to have multiple close friends! I wouldn't trade any of mine for anything.

Jax Cassidy said...

The variety definitely helps to know who to turn to for specific advice, that's for sure! :P

Naima Simone said...

I love this post! I was born with my "bestie". My twin sister is the best friend I have, who knows me inside and out, and loves me anyway! She's been my champion when I was too scared to speak up for myself, and I love her--even when I want to slap her! LOL! You make me want to call her and get sappy, Jax!!

Jax Cassidy said...

Naima--that's awesome you have someone so close to you. Twins? Even better. I'm happy you know exactly who your bestie is :)

Dalton Diaz said...

I felt and feel exactly the same way, Jax! There are people I turn to for different things. Sometimes it's knowing which friend is best for which advice, but it's also knowing the limitations a certain friend may have.