Thursday, January 12, 2012

Oh Crap. Am I A Twilight Mom?

Why did I avoid the Twilight Series?

I’m too old to think Robert Pattinson is hot. (He was good in a movie I recently saw called, Remember Me, tho. Depressing as hell movie, but he was good.)
I already did teen angst to the nth degree in real life.
I’m not 12.
My preferences lead more toward erotica.
Saw Bella in the movie trailers. I already did whiny teen to the nth degree in real life.
Jacob is hot, not that I was looking at his face. But did he have to be shirtless in every scene?

I did finally see the 1st two movies last year, when we got a free HBO weekend. I thought they were ok, but I didn't get the obsession. There were even parts I didn't understand and I had to ask some teenage girls some questions when I was left with...questions. Whatever. I was done. Or so I thought.

When Breaking Dawn came out in Nov last year, I got sucked into seeing it with 2 friends, only one of whom is a fan. How did she get me to go? We went to one of those fancy restaurant theaters where we sat in plush seats and had lunch. She paid for the tickets. Yeah, I'm not proud, tho the other friend and I did pick up her lunch tab. I'd never been to one of those theaters before and I was ok with never spending money for those extras. But I was giving in return here, remember? I had to sit through another Twilight Movie.

About that... Dammit, it was really good! I was hooked through the entire movie. Worse, I found myself accepting my friend's generous shove of her copies of the books down my throat. See, she had an ulterior motive, too. She was tired of being the only admitted Twilight Mom in my town and she figured her friend who writes was her best bet. The other friend wasn't swayed.

I started reading the first oversize book a few nights later, and I liked it ok. It was totally readable and likeable (sorry, Stephen King!), but about halfway through the book I kind of lost interest. Thanksgiving and the Hellidays were coming, and I was way overbooked. I didn't read a lot of it in the weeks leading up to Christmas, but I did trudge forward.

That feeling changed toward the end of book one. I can't put my finger on it because I was so fried from the Hellidays that I didn't notice when it first started. Somewhere in there, I began looking forward to going to bed so I could read more, and I was thinking about the characters during the day! I finished the 1st book and devoured the 2nd. I'm over halfway through the 3rd now.



One of the biggest surprises was finding out that things I had found annoying in the movies suddenly made more sense. For instance, I was rolling my eyes through the movies every time Edward got all angsty & uptight whenever he "smelled" Bella. In the books - as in all books vs movies - there is so much more depth to the actions. Her scent to him was an integral part of the entire story. It wasn't simply to have angst in each scene.



Most of all, I didn't understand why Bella would choose Edward over Jacob. Jacob seemed so much more fun and interesting and less angsty in the movies. And those muscles! In the books, it shows so much more depth of character. You come to understand Jacob's youthful playfulness matches his level of maturity, while Edward is...well, he's a man. He should be, considering he's about 100 yrs old.

So do all of these revelations make me a Twilight Mom? I guess so. I'll let you know for sure when I've finished devouring the series and go out and buy my own set in paperback. Oh, and we got another free movie weekend and I found the 2nd and 3rd Twilight movies and recorded them. I can't wait to see the 2nd one again & the 3rd for the first time, knowing what I know now. I just have to wait until my teenage boys aren't home so I don't have to listen to them pretend to vomit.

8 comments:

June M. said...

I have to admit that I did enjoy the books when I read them a few years back. A bunch of friends & co-workers kept telling me I "had" to read them. I did not get tempted though until my sister (who is not much of a reader because she doesn't have much time) told me I had to read them. She had read the first and loved it. So, I gave it a try, borrowing a book from a friend. Well, I then had to go buy the rest of the series. I ended up buying them all in hardback and read them in less than a week (I was able to read at work, lol). I still have them but have not read them for years. I really need to just give them to my sister, she is the typical Twilight mom, even though neither of her teenaged daughters enjoy the books or movies.

Dalton Diaz said...

June, I kid you not, I came within 10 pages of finishing the 3rd book last night. That says it all, considering I was only about 1/2way thru and there are over 500 pages!

I should be good and make myself put away the Xmas decorations and clean the bathrooms before I get to read the wedding night! Right. I'll get back to you on that one.

Paige Tyler said...

LOL! Love the books and the movies!

*hugs*
Paige

Naima Simone said...

Dalton, you are not the only Twilight Mom! I swear, I resisted reading them for the longest. My mother finally convinced me to read book 1 and I killed it. I was up til 2 am reading! I'm on the second now. I finally saw the first movie, and you're absolutely right. The books are better and more in depth than the movies. I haven't seen Breaking Dawn yet because I want to read the book first. So pump your fist in the air! You are not alone, Sister-Twilight Mom! LOL!

Dalton Diaz said...

I have about ten pages left before I get to start Breaking Dawn tonight.

Well, I'm off to bed now!

Jeaux Raynebeaux said...

Welcome to Twilight Momhood. I think you might remember, I went kicking and screaming, but went I did. Now I've lost track on how many times I've read them. 5 maybe?

Oh, and BTW the 4th book is the best one of all.

Jeaux

Dalton Diaz said...

Started it last night. Hot damn!

Casey Crow said...

Don't feel bad. I had lunch three girlfriends last week. 38 & older. They're all crushing on the Twilight dudes too. LOL