Monday, December 19, 2011

Getting in the Mood

One of the very first pieces of fiction I published (under another name) was a short story about a woman who needs a date for her family's New Year gathering. All these years later, Cinderella Tannenbaum is still one of my favorites.

As many Christmas romances as there are out there, finding romances involving Hanukkah are pretty hard to find. Do you have a favorite holiday romance book? If so, please do tell! If you're looking for a short, sweet story, check out Cinderella Tannenbaum.

Here's a snipet:


Mindy Tannenbaum stared at the caller ID display and swallowed hard. The moment of truth had arrived. The phone’s shrill ring might well have been her mother’s nagging voice, imploring her to answer.
Stop being a baby and get it over with. She picked up and tried to smile brightly. “Hello, Mother. How are you?”

“How am I? How should I be when I have only one daughter and she never calls home?” Florence Tannenbaum whined.

Mindy shut her eyes. “Sorry, Mother. Work’s been keeping me so busy.”

“Well, if you don’t have time for me, I’ll let you go. I hope you’ll make time to visit my grave, at least. Maybe by then, hmm?”

“Of course I have time. How are you? How’s Dad?”

“We’re old, how do you think we are? Your father’s back is giving him trouble again. My arthritis is a constant companion in my life. But you know me, I don’t like to complain.”

Mindy rolled her eyes.

“I’m making up my New Year’s Day dinner menu. Will you bring someone this year? Should I set another place?” Her mother sighed, as if to say, “You still have no prospects, do you?”

The worst part was, she was right. No handsome hunks had recently beaten down Mindy’s door. Not even any that weren’t handsome!“As a matter of fact, Mother, I would like to bring someone–a date.” What the hell was she doing? She hadn’t had a date in months. Now what? Maybe he could cancel at the last minute. No, she’d used that excuse two years ago.

Florence’s voice brightened. “Oh, a date? How come you didn’t mention this at Thanksgiving?”

Think fast. “Um, we just started seeing each other last weekend.”

“How wonderful. Tell me all about him.”

“It’s a surprise. You’ll have to wait until New Year’s.”

“But Mindy, that’s weeks away. I could get hit by a bus between now and then.”

“Then the last thing you have to fret about is who I’m dating. Worry about not stepping out in front of moving vehicles.”

4 comments:

Michelle Polaris said...

Oooh, a hannukah romance. Perfect timing for tomorrow night.

Wynter said...

Yup. I'm ready!

Callie Croix said...

Happy Hannukah! I haven't heard Adam Sandler's Hannukah song yet on the radio, so hopefully today :)

Wynter said...

Thanks, Callie. I just heard it this morning (for the first time this year) - so funny!