Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Writing Resolutions

Okay, don't panic everyone, but I thought I should mention that tomorrow is December 1st. (How did this happen???) In amongst all the forthcoming holiday madness, I've decided to make some changes to my writing habits next year. I don't know if any of you make resolutions or actually stick to them for the New Year, but for 2012 I've got a whole ton of projects lined up waiting to be written, and that requires putting down actual new words on the page.

I just sent a project out last night, so I'm glad to have that off my plate, but I hate the waiting, which will be extended now due to the holidays. But what's the best way to forget about something you've got out on submission? Write the next book!

I've been really bad this year with my discipline. I got stuck (and still am stuck) in the middle of a book that by rights should have been turned in last Christmas. *hangs head* So in 2012 I've got to get tougher with myself.

My question to you lovely Naughty Chicks is: What tricks do you have to help you complete a project? As I said this one's way overdue, and mostly I blame it on sheer laziness. Writing short, hot novellas is a lot of fun, but I also can't neglect my other persona, especially when I've just received an e-mail from the publisher's executive editor, pretty much asking when the next book in the series will be done. (Eep!)

The only thing I've found that helps is going to the local library to write for a few hours after I drop the kids off in the mornings. With fewer distractions there and resisting the temptation of hooking up to the Wifi, I can usually force myself to get some new words down. I wish "force" wasn't the right word, but in this case it's the truth.

What about you? Do you have any writing resolutions or a bag of never fail tricks?

9 comments:

Wynter said...

Give yourself permission to temporarily cut your daily word goal. Give yourself a break and shoot for 100 words at a time - maybe 4 or 5 times a day until you get past the rough patch. Email me and we can do some word sprints. I'll bug you until you do;-)

Callie Croix said...

Hey, now that is a heck of an idea! A hundred words at a time might be completely doable for me. I swear I hate this story right now, but it has to come out of me. Has. To.

Jina Bacarr said...

Wynter is spot on re: adjusting your daily work goal. It's like excerising -- go to the gym for an hour? you tell youself. Nah...

But excercise for ten minutes...sure I can do that.

Works well for writing, too--what happens is your brain "warms up" just like your muscles and you find yourself getting those words down faster then you imagined.

Callie Croix said...

Jina, another great point, and exactly how exercise has gone for me lately too :)

Mini sprints might just do the trick!

Naima Simone said...

Hi, Callie!
You know what I found really helped me in November? This program called Write or Die. It makes you write. I set my goal for 250 words in 15 minutes and, because I didn't want to see the screen go magenta and screech out Evil Violins, I met my goal every time. I intend to keep using it even now that NaNo is over, too. Loved it! And you can knock out this book! I'm cheering you on!

Michelle Polaris said...

I love that write or die idea, although I'm not sure how I would react if I crashed and burned and the screen went on me. I might destroy something. But is sure does add motivation.

But I'm in your seat, Callie. I need a new structure.

Callie Croix said...

Naima, I'll check it out, but I'm not sure if that will help me or send me cowering further in my cave :) Guess I could try it once though!

Michelle, I'm just glad to know I'm not alone in my agony, lol. Being tough on myself isn't helping the words come!

Casey Crow said...

I have a bad habit of checking email, doing promo work - folding clothes - whatever else I can do to keep from "starting to write." The initial pull the MS up on my laptop is so much more difficult than writing itself. Once I get going, I'm fine, but the getting is my weakness. I've got to learn to write first then once I meet my goal, treat myself to other things.

Speaking of the gym - I ride the bike while holding my notepad so I can edit. Mulit-tasking at its best and it makes the 30 minutes fly by.

Callie Croix said...

Casey,I so hear you on the procrastination thing :)

I think in 2012 I'll set short word count goals and give myself little rewards for meeting them. Hope it works!