Thursday, November 17, 2011

Still Truckin' Along

Anyone who thinks it’s possible to just sit down and bang out a story, even a bangin’ story, is sadly mistaken. It takes time to get to know the story, to flesh out the characters. And if you’re a by the seat of the pants writer like I am, that means a tremendous amount of rewrites along the way.

My biggest challenge by far is to write a confident, assertive, energetic heroine. I’ve never been confident, struggle with assertion (kinda goes with the confidence thing), and I’m an admitted couch potato. Oh, and did I mention that the hero I’m currently trying to flesh out is a mere 2.5 years younger than my oldest son? And the heroine is my age? That doesn’t help.

Truth is, I’ve been working on this story for quite some time, and I’m pretty sure my editor and crit partners don't think it will ever be finished. I’d agree, except for one thing. I’ve passed the point of no return. I love the characters, and I think they’ll find their way into the reader’s heart as well.

So I’m going to persevere on this one. I’m invested. I’m confident. I’m asserting that I’m going to park my ass on the couch and get this puppy finished.

7 comments:

Wynter Daniels said...

Sometimes the stories practically write themselves, but more often for me, it's a struggle at some point. Hang in there. Great characters is so key.

Dalton Diaz said...

Thanks, Wynter. I've been hanging by my fingernails for a while now. It helps to see my friends going for it and succeeding! That success is in my reach, too.

Jina Bacarr said...

Dalton, you hang in there--you've got a terrific voice and a good command of storytelling.

Sometimes when we struggle with a story, it's best to see if the scene could work from a different character's pov; or what is the antagonist doing? You may need a dramatic moment to shake things up.

And sometimes just admitting you're stuck helps you move on.

Keep us posted!

Dalton Diaz said...

Unfortunately, a large percentage of my inability to write is coming from outside forces. I am, however, finding that writing is like exercising a muscle; the less I do it in any regular fashion, the harder it is to sit down and write when I do get the opportunity. I find myself getting frustrated now that I'm into the characters, which isn't a bad thing when you think about it. At least I'm on the track, let alone the right one!

Michelle Polaris said...

You know I've been rooting for you all along. I too believe this story will happen. I share your frustration with getting stuck by outside forces. When it's done, the book will be fantastic.

Callie Croix said...

Fight the good fight, Dalton. Sounds like you've got a worthwhile project on your hands. If it helps (and it might not, but here's hoping), I'm really stuck on a story that should have been finished a year ago. I don't know what my problem is, I'm just paralyzed.

Today I actually worked in the library on some edits that are due next week because I get so distracted at home. It actually worked, and I was more productive there than I've been at home since September. *light bulb*

Also, I think a lot of women suffer from a lack of self-esteem/confidence, so you're not alone. Writing about an assertive heroine will be great!

Jax Cassidy said...

Argh. I hate when my comment gets chewed up by cyber space. LOL

Let's try it again...

I've been in your shoes before but if you can pass that difficult spot in the manuscript and reach the end, you will totally know the reason why you had to write it in the first place. The stories most often difficult to write are the ones you will love even more. I'm sure it will be great so don't sweat it! :)