Monday, October 17, 2011

Lying; A Tool for Tension

I prepared this blog way in advance, knowing readers would click on our blog site Monday morning and be eager to have something new and fresh to read. Okay, I'm lying. I forgot to prepare something for today until I woke up this morning. Then I scrambled to figure out what to post before I had to get the kids ready for school and myself ready for work.

Why would I lie? Well at the last minute I found this really intriguing TED.com video. Imagine me posting a TED video? (Insert eye roll because it's become an addiction.) But the video is about lying, the prevalence of it, why we do it, how we spot it. I found it interesting research for writers because we can use this information during our stories as we paint portraits of characters and describe their mannerisms. Lying is a great way to add tension to our stories. And apparently a very realistic piece of daily lives. So watch this video as research if you are a writer. If you are a reader, you should watch anyway. Because apparently in our everyday lives we are being lied to all the time. The next time I read a novel I'm planning to notice how often this tool is used in story tension.

Now go out there and have a truth-filled day. Or not.

4 comments:

Paige Tyler said...

Very interesting!

*hugs*
Paige

Casey Crow said...

Thanks for sharing even if it's "one of those days"!

Michelle Polaris said...

We all have one of those days. And that's no lie. Ugh, I think I'm overtired. LOL

Naima Simone said...

Boo, Michelle! Bad pun! Bad pun! LOL!! You know what I found out, Michelle? My name is Naima. And I am a liar. And apparently not a very good one... And that's no lie...hee-hee! I couldn't resist!