Thursday, October 27, 2011

Internet Sucks

I don't know about you, but where I live, I don't have much choice in what service providers I can use for my internet. Working from home is awesome but if you rely on staying online all day like I do--it sucks when you have internet connectivity woes.

Too bad I can't beat my internet into submission but it's good to be able to bitch and moan about it. As a tech person, the internet is a genius invention and I wish I had thought it up...frankly, for all the awesome ways it makes our life and work easier, sometimes it's a bit of a crutch. We depend on it so much that we forget to stop and smell the roses. We forget that our obsession makes us neglect the important things like family, friends, significant others...I suppose I realized one day that I was a totally and complete workaholic. I had been working from 6 AM to 3AM the next morning! I lost a whole day!! Yep, because we are so dependent on our computers, it's taking over our lives.

I've been noticing the little things more and more lately, especially when I decided to step away from work to actually enjoy time away from the computer. I've missed so much already so being able to get back to the real world instead of staring at the computer screen all day makes a difference. As much as I love living in my jammies, it's more exciting to dress up and get some fresh air.

What do you do to break away from your workaholism?

Artwork by ©2011 ~AirieX

3 comments:

Jina Bacarr said...

Jax, as you can see by my lateness in reading your post, I'm an Internet junkie, too. I used to write for MicroTimes--"girl" stories about computers (I once wrote an article about a computer used by a costmetics company to test out makeup on your face)--so computers have been part of my entire adult life.

Which makes me wonder how I survived as a kid with no computer. Then it hit me. I read books, hiked, practiced the piano, went to dance school...I had a life!

So now I try to do those same things...make time for them everyday. It helps to find non-computer activities that enrich your soul and help you fill up the wells again.

I'm off to excercise now...then play the piano. Music does help soothe your Internet soul...

Wynter said...

I totally agree with Jina about non-computer time. Too much time being wired makes me cranky!

Jax Cassidy said...

Jina -- Wow, you're amazing...talented...and I'm in awe of all you've accomplished. It's cool that you're able to go out and do all those things instead of being tied down to electronics & internet age.

Dara -- I agree that we should all escape the computer to do real life things. It makes me cranky, too!