Monday, July 18, 2011

The Dark Side

I have lots of writerly friends who pen paranormal stories, including my critique partner and some of my fellow Naughty Author Chicks, but I've never been one to venture into those murky waters -- until now.

I just started writing a paranormal novella and I've got to say, it's a challenge, but it's fun. The best thing about writing something in the supernatural realm is that I can make all the rules. It's my world to create. There's a lot to be said for that.

In truth, though, I think readers who regularly pick up books of the genre have certain expectations. They know that a witch casts spells, that a vampire exists on blood and that a shape shifter shifts from human to some animal form. But beyond that, the world in which those creatures of the night exist can take on many, many forms.

Something else I like about the genre? Well, your typical villain can be stopped with a gun, a knife, brute force, etc. But even after the villain in a paranormal romance is outed, there's no clear cut method for taking him or her on. Something else I can play fast and loose with!

The very best thing about paranormal romance is that readers can't seem to get enough of it. Gotta love that. What about you? Do you enjoy reading about supernatural beings or do you prefer to stay in the known dimensions?

8 comments:

Michelle Polaris said...

You are going to have lots of fun writing this, Wynter. It's a whole new world out there. Literally.

Wynter said...

Thanks, Michelle. I'm loving it so far, but it's going slower than I'd hoped. Once I get the hang of it...

Hot Ash Romance Novels said...

Welcome to the dark side, Wynter! You're going to love it. Even though I take the light side of paranormal, I still get to play and use my imagination to its fullest!

Now I find myself having to keep my own mythology consistant. Take notes! If you love writing this genre (and you probably will) you'll need to remember details you've used before.

I created a special wine in Vampire Vintage that took care of the photosensitivity and blood lust. I got to use it again in The Vampire Next Door (coming out Aug 1st--yay!)

You may not have time to reread a whole book to remember all the nitty gritty, so jot it down in a notebook or file. Just a word of unsolicited advice. (grin)

Wynter said...

Great idea, Ash - thanks! I will do that.

Jina Bacarr said...

An important point to keep in mind, Wynter, when writing paranormal is that conflict comes from the characters, how they react to the paranormal world you've created and to each other.

That way you keep the emotions running high! And the reader turning the pages...

Wynter said...

Thanks for that tip, Jina. I'll keep that in mind.

Dalton Diaz said...

I keep trying to write a paranormal that's been percolating for a number of years, but I always get tripped up in the details. I still haven't figured out how to let go of reality.

Paige Tyler said...

I love writing paranormal. In fact, I think it's my favorite genre, mainly because I really get to stretch my imaginations!

Good luck with your book!

*hugs*
Paige