Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Guilty as Charged!

When I hear the phrase “guilty pleasure”, automatically my mind goes to snitching the kids’ lunch snacks or eating a Symphony chocolate bar while the hubby is in there working it out to “Michael Jackson Experience”. I feel immense guilt, but the pleasure of those Chili Cheese Frito-Lay Corn Chips or that endorphin –pumping milk chocolate… *sigh*

Yet there are other guilty pleasures. The ones that if you were in a room full of people, you wouldn’t admit to unless about five people confessed them first. I thought of this while watching Mob Wives on VH1. Yeah, I said it.


And while I’m on a roll, I never miss an episode of The Real Housewives of New Jersey (nobody flips a table like Teresa!), and was cheering for Nene during the infamous Nene vs Kim smackdown on Kandi’s tour bus on the Real Housewives of Atlanta. I would use the stand-by excuse of “it’s for research”, but really, who am I kidding? It’s just sheer WTF fun! I mean, who could make this stuff up? Does anyone see the irony of Sammy the Bull’s daughter writing a tell-all book?? Or the hilarity of a woman who proudly croons, “Amazing Grace…that saved a wench like me”. If I were to submit half of this material to my editor, she would order me to revise and resubmit because it’s just not believable!


Everyone needs a guilty pleasure. Something that you watch, listen to or eat out of pure enjoyment. It shouldn’t have any educational or nutritional value or redeeming qualities—just good ol’ fashion fun. Also at the top of my list are “The Expendables” with Sylvester Stallone, “Bicycle Race” by Queen and sugar on my hotdogs. Share yours!

7 comments:

Michelle Polaris said...

I'd never seen the show, Naima. I'm all for guilty pleasures although I admit this one isn't mine. Wow! But enjoy, girl. Go for it!

Wynter said...

Put me down for Bicycle Race. I love that song;-) Okay, and I'll admit to watching Celebrity Rehab and OCD House. What can I say? I love watching screwed up people. I suppose any of the Housewives shows would count!

Jina Bacarr said...

Last week I admitted to having Castle withdrawals--but Covert Affairs began season 2, so I'm loving that!

(tonight USA Network 10 pm)

Naima Simone said...

That's okay, Michelle! Let me tel you, I wouldn't admit to my father that I watched Project Runway and the Housewives until he asked me...then it got real quiet...then we started talking at once about the episodes! LOL! I haven't told him about Mob Wives, though...hee-hee!

Naima Simone said...

Hi, Wynter!
While we're on a roll, how about Radio Ga Ga? LOL!! C'mon! Fess up! My sister watches Celbrity Rehab! LOL! I've watched a couple of episodes with her, but I've never seen OCD House. Hmm...search button...

Naima Simone said...

Hi, Jina!
Ooh! Castle! Yeeeaaahh. Good one, Jina!! I'll have to check out Covert Affairs. I saw the commercial for it while watching L&O Criminal Intent and it does look good!

Dalton Diaz said...

Wait, wait... did you say sugar on hot dogs?