Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Pet (and others) Peeves

I love people. I truly do. In fact, I had something happen recently that hit home how wonderful people can be. But there are a few things complete strangers do that make me crazy, or I’m crazy so these things bother me. Not sure which, so you be the judge.

Here’s my list in no particular order, give or take a few (dozen) entries. Kidding. Not. No, really. This is how I feel this week and it’s my turn to post, so bite me.


People with no sense of humor
You know who I’m talking about. That person behind the register with the blank stare who won’t engage, or worse, a nurse or Dr. who doesn’t respond to nervous humor. That one is not only irritating, it’s downright cruel and bad business.





People who tailgate
Really? You want me to drive through the car in front of me, so you’re going to endanger all of us on the road so you can feel like you have huge cajones? Compensate much? Yes, people who drive too slowly and don’t pull over to let the long line of cars behind them pass are also annoying (and dangerous), but tailgating wins the bigger asshole award.
Exception: people who leave 2 or 3 car spaces between them and the guy in front of them for a green arrow. You don’t have to ride their bumper, but hello? You’re cutting off 2 or 3 cars from making the light.

People who bathe in perfume/aftershave
A little dab’ll do ya. Really. You can’t smell it anymore because you’ve effed up your own sense of smell with the stuff. Going beyond that dab doesn’t make you smell better, it just makes you smell. Added bonus points for causing instant severe misery to allergy sufferers.


People who whistle indoors
Repeat after me: whistling is a shrill sound that can and does hurt people’s ears. Go ahead, whistle while you work - as long as you work outside. It is not ok to whistle indoors, especially where people can’t escape the fact that you’ve happily crammed a chalkboard in their ear, reached in, and scraped all five fingernails.



People who let their dogs bark
Dogs bark. I get that. But if your dog barks incessantly, it’s a problem, and it’s your problem, not your neighbors’. Control your animal. It’s no different than if I let my kid stand under your window and cry all day/night.



People who call themselves Christian, then sit in judgment of others
This is a biggie. By your own rules, you are going to hell. Just thought I’d let you know.





Nobody’s perfect. I’m sure I do things that other people find incredibly annoying, and I’m sure there are things that aren’t on my list that annoy the crap out of others. Feel free to add to the list. Let’s raise awareness!!

8 comments:

Michelle Polaris said...

One of my pet peeves are bumper stickers that say "I hate all bigots". I am hoping people put those on as a joke, because otherwise they DON'T get it.

Wynter Daniels said...

Love this. I will add people at the gym who think it's just about them - they don't wipe down machines they sweat all over; they blare the TV or leave gazillion pounds weights on machines.

Dalton Diaz said...

Michelle, it was probably meant as a joke, but caught on with the same group as the last group I mentioned.

Dara, yes, that's an addition to the list that I wouldn't know about. Another reason to not hit the gym. Which, btw, puts me on the peeve list of, People Who Complain About Gaining Weight but Don't Get Off Their Ass.

Paige Tyler said...

I think mine is people who think the beach is an ashtray. It's just nasty!

*hugs*
Paige

Katie Reus said...

What about roosters who crow all day, lol? I just moved and one of my neighbors has a rooster that likes to crow at all hours of the day ;)

I think people who identify themselves as being affiliated w/ any sort of religion, not just Christianity, and then judge do a disservice to everyone else associated with that faith. It's not just 'Christians'; that whole 'judging but hiding behind whatever God they believe in' thing is fairly universal. (Sadly)

Dalton Diaz said...

Page, ewwww!

Katie, you're absolutely right. I use Christian loosely, but hesitate to blanket any other groups because I don't know if it specifically states in their "rules" to not judge.

On the rooster thing, check and see if it's required to have a permit to own a rooster in your area. Seriously! Most areas ban them for this very reason.

Anonymous said...

LOL. My pet peeve - people who act like the rules don't apply to them. They cut lines, drive while on the phone (going into MY lane, BTW), or walk around with a cell phone in stores talking LOUDLY to the person on the phone about stuff they shouldn't in public to begin with. (Example - I was in a Target store with my 6, 8, and 12 year old in the DVD section while some woman is talking about "OMG, the condom broke? Really? Oh, it slid off? Well, did she have to fish it out of her -she used the P word- or did it fall out? Did he get off?(only graphic terms)")

I'm sure I annoy people too though. Like when I told my kids "Wait here and don't move." I walked up to her, tapped her on the shoulder, and began to inform her how rude she was and pointed out the children around her, (mine weren't the only kids within hearing) the elderly couple gasping from shock, and told her while she was shopping perhaps she could buy some common sense or a functioning brain since she'd lost hers. YES, I did. She seemed outraged. I'm sure I was HER pet peeve that day. LOL.

June M. said...

I have many of the same pet peeves, especially the perfume/cologne one. I have asthma, as does my mother and even my 3 year old nephew and some of these are so strong that they make you have very bad asthma attacks.

Another pet peeve of mine is when people give me unsolicated advice about something they are not qualified to advise on. I have a bad back and people are always telling me about this "miracle" treatment/cure they saw on TV (usually an infomercial). I have doctors so I don't need them to try to treat me. I can get a little rude about this, especially if I am currently hurting alot or have not slept well due to pain. LOL