Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Job Interview Questions for Your Romance Novel Heroine



by Evelyn Q. Darling

Romance Reporter At Large


Is your romance novel heroine qualified for the job?


Did you interview her before you started writing? I don’t mean where she went to school, what her favorite color is, etc. but whether or not she’s qualified for the job as a romance novel heroine.


For example, does she have the skills needed to perform her job: Can she shoot a Glock if you’re writing an FBI agent? Lace up a corset if she’s interviewing for the job as a Victorian lady’s maid?


Or she may be overqualified for the job. For example, she can type faster than you or she has aspirations to leave the romance novel field and get a literary gig.


How long has she been out of work?


Romance novel jobs are hard to get and if it’s been decades since she slipped between the pages of a novel, you might want to reconsider. On the other hand, experience between the sheets is important for every romance heroine.


A typical interview could go like this:


Miss Jones, I’m writing a novel that takes place during the Regency Period. Are you a fan of Jane Austen?


Miss Jones: Jane who? I’m so into Lady Gaga. Love her sunglasses.


Next…


Miss Smith, my next novel is about an FBI agent who’s very physically active to catch the bad guys. Can you drop and do twenty?


Miss Smith: the only thing I dropped was twenty pounds to get this interview.


Let’s try again.


Miss von Rittenhaus, I need a romance novel heroine who sleeps all day and bites all night. Can you list your qualifications to be the vamp queen in my new urban fantasy novel?


Miss von Rittenhaus: Honey, I can snooze and cruise with the best of them. I’ve hit every vamp bar from here to Tampa and let me tell you, no one gets her fangs on better than Lulu.


When can you start?


Miss von Rittenhaus: Tonight. As soon as the sun goes down. (Pause). You haven’t mentioned a benefits package.


What do you mean?


Miss von Rittenhaus: Do I get overtime pay for all this night work? And how about a 401K? I’m not getting any younger and in this economy a girl, I mean vamp, has to look out for herself. What about my e-rights? And health benefits? What if I chip a fang and I have to see a dentist between chapters?


Jeez…Romance heroines…you can’t write with them and you can’t write without them.


This is Evelyn Q. Darling. Till next time when we’ll interview the romance novel hero and see if he’s up for the job.



Evelyn is the alter-ego of Jina Bacarr, The Blonde Samurai: “She embraced the way of the warrior. Two swords. Two loves.”

Jina is also the author of The Blonde Geisha ,Cleopatra's Perfume, Naughty Paris, Tokyo Rendezvous, a Spice Brief, and Spies, Lies & Naked Thighs

8 comments:

Michelle Polaris said...

Very fun. Most of my heroines come with the necessary skill sets and don't give me too much trouble. I'm writing the sequel to Bound Odyssey now. And while the current heroine didn't come with the same how to kinky knowledge, she's been a fast learner.

Wynter said...

LOL! I think Miss von Rittenhaus is ready for her close-up now.

Jina Bacarr said...

Thanks, Michelle. Sounds like you have the perfect romance heroine: a gal who can do it all!

Jina Bacarr said...

Wynter: Re: Miss Rittenhaus...we're still working out the details of her contract. Now she wants more perks, including an iPad with a vamp ap.

Interview Questions said...

Really its looking funny

Dalton Diaz said...

LOL!
Could you tell Miss Smith that I've found her 20, and could she please take them back?

Jina Bacarr said...

Thank you Interview Questions for your nice comment.

Jina Bacarr said...

Dalton, I checked with Miss Smith about taking the 20 back; she said she's already got them.

She's been splurging on chocolate peanut butter cups and rasberry supreme ice cream since she didn't get the job...