Thursday, March 24, 2011

Do-Over


If you could change anything about losing your virginity, would you? BTW, I don’t mean having your hymen “repaired” at the Dr.’s office. (Yes, you really can do that!)

Would you do it sooner in life? Later in life? At the same place? In the same position? And, oh yeah, with the same partner?

In case inquiring minds want to know, my answers are as follows: later, no, yes, and HELL NO! Excuse me, didn’t mean to shout that last one. Decorum restored.

I think about this every once in awhile. Why? Because it’s good for my muse. In that first book I wrote, which has been much brought up and maligned (by me) on this site, and is still gathering dust bunnies as we speak, I created the perfect scenario. It was everything I wanted it to be. The hero/heroine were in love, they had been dating for over 2 yrs, were of consenting age, and he cared more about her comfort than getting his rocks off. (That doesn’t mean he didn’t lose control, because hey, it is still one of my books and y’all know by now how much I LOVE it when the hero loses it at that moment.) In other words, ain’t fantasy grand?

My muse is already amused. So many ways to go with the whole virgin scenario:
They’re both virgins
She is/he isn’t
He is/she isn’t (extra yummy)
Neither are technically, but...it was a bad experience, certain places are still virginal, etc.
(There are so many ways to go with that last one, I can’t even finish the suggestion.)

Seriously. Let’s have an unofficial poll. How many readers would change anything or everything about their first time? Writers, how many of you have literally re-written history?

14 comments:

Wynter Daniels said...

I would totally change my de-flowering. Most important change - the guy. He was wrong, wrong, wrong.

Dalton Diaz said...

Yeah, I'm with you there. Then again, Valmont from Dangerous Liaisons would have been about the same choice.

Amber Skyze said...

I definitely would've had it later and with a different guy.

The Wife said...

I wouldn't change it at all. I was 15 (the guy was 19). We'd been dating for ~9 months. It was in the back seat of a 1981 Dodge Omni (thank god for flip down back seats! lol). We were at a drive in movie theater. I was on top. It was lovely, pleasant, didn't hurt at all (he was very good at... prep work lol). I think of it fondly. I'm still friends with the guy, too. No, as far as these things go, I don't think it could have been more perfect.

Dalton Diaz said...

Ah, but Amber, have you re-written history?

The Wife - oy! I have to say, there aren't many with those circumstances who end up not regretting it later. The fact that you remember it fondly and are still friends with the guy shows how much you deeply cared for each other even at that age.

The Wife said...

He was a special person (still is). We just weren't right for *each other*. Unfortunately he married unhappily later. :( But I met my husband when I was 21 and it was pretty perfect, too. *waggling eyebrows* Either I'm very lucky, have made great choices, know some awesome men, or all of the above. :)

Maybe that's why I'm not a writer -- maybe I've already lived the romance? LOL

Mai said...

Oy, I would totally change the guy. As a teen you live and you learn, but omg....do over!

Ashlyn Chase said...

Yeah, we would have had a map and a compass. (We were both virgins and didn't know what the hell we were doing. He didn't break the hymen until round two a week later!) LOL

CJ said...

lol. I would have it earlier, different guy, so of course different place...I've been thinking a lot about this lately! ;) And yes I like to "rewrite history", so this is why I keep writing virginal heroines...but they don't seem as popular with readers. Or I have my heroines who just haven't been quite satisfied until the hero enters the picture. Don't know how well that goes over either...

Dalton Diaz said...

LOL! So later and different guy is the majority so far. Not surprising.

I met my husband at 21, too. Him, I would do over exactly the same!

Naima Simone said...

DO OVER!! Okay, didn't mean to yell that either! LOL! I wouldn't have waited later because I lost mine at 22. If I'd have waited later the equipment might've had to be returned for Not Used For Purposes Intended!! LOL! I definitely would have a different man, different place, different position, different city...I only had sex with him a second time to prove to myself that it couldn't have been as bad as I had built it up in my mind, right? The hell you say!! Thank God I started dating my husband too long after that! Or else I might have been put off sex foreva!! LOL!!

Dalton Diaz said...

I'm wondering what you said to him after the 2nd time, Naima. Yeah, so that still sucked.

Naima Simone said...

I said, So...how 'bout those Mets? Helluva lot better than, Can I get up now? You're messing up my hair.

Dalton Diaz said...

I dunno. If he was a Yankees fan, it could have made him vacate sooner. In fact, you could have found that out sooner and moaned "Jeter" the moment you realized it still wasn't good.
BTW, should I point out I'm a Red Sox fan?