Thursday, January 6, 2011

More Guilty Confessions



I watch Married to Rock.

I’m horrified, astonished, ashamed, titillated and hooked.
It started as a train wreck I just had to see, after viewing the initial caboose (& ridiculously fake headlights) of Josie. In fact, I’m pretty sure it was a snippet on The Soup, my favorite monitor for the ridiculous.

Was she for real, was this a joke, was the show going to set women back a boobzillion years?

I watched the entire first season, and here’s what I learned:
Which one would make the best friend? Josie
Which one truly has a heart of gold and is least self-absorbed? Josie
IMHO, which one has the best chance of a lasting marriage? You’ve got it: Josie

Surprised? Yeah, me, too. Big time. But underneath all of the baby talk, the O-HELL-NO-Kitty-ness and plastic surgery inducing insecurity, lie two people who truly are in love, and have been for almost a decade. (According to my DH, this is where I need to give cred to Josie’s husband, Steve Stevens, of Billy Idol fame.)The more I watched, the more these two made sense as a couple.

Brace yourselves.



On the complete opposite spectrum, I watch 19 Kids and Counting

I’m horrified, astonished, NOT titillated, yet still hooked. My kids laugh even harder than when they catch me watching Married to Rock.

I can’t help it, I’m impressed. The level of organization and patience is astounding. Would I want to be any of them in any other way? Uh, that would be a big fat NO. But their devotion to both family and religion is humbling, and this is after a lot of years and a lot of limelight. It feels like they went into this to show the world it can be done, and they still approach it with the same theory and determination instead of letting “Hollyweird” change them.

That said, I have also noticed something more disturbing than ground beef and Tater Tot casserole. They are there for each other and anyone else in their Christian community. But isn’t being a good Christian about being that way in and with every community? I don’t see much diversity on the show. In fact, I’m trying to remember any diversity at all, religious or otherwise. Am I just imagining this? I’ll admit I don’t follow the show, er, religiously, so I absolutely could be proven wrong. In fact, I’d like to be proven wrong.

So those are my confessions and one late night serious observation. Do with them what you will. I have to go, Guiliana and Bill are on.

Oops, guess there were three confessions.

10 comments:

Michelle Polaris said...

I love these confessions. And what I love most about life is that every single soul (including people we never would suspect) has something to teach us. If only on reality tv.

Wynter Daniels said...

DH calls reality TV de-evolution. He scoffs when I watch Celebrity Rehab or Millionaire Matchmaker. I can't help it either. There - I've confessed, too.

Dalton Diaz said...

For the most part, reality tv for me is American Idol, and things of that nature. I'll scope some of the others out, but can usually only watch for a few minutes. Snippets of Jersey Shore on The Soup are more than I can take of that one!

Desiree Holt said...

Yup,. you're right. I'd never, ever have guessed. I'll NEVERA tell what my guilty pleasures are! My biggest venture into reality tv is Dancing With the Stars and Amazing Race, although...secret, secret, secret...my late husband was addicted to Keeping Up With the Kardashians. Ssh. Don;t tell!

Dalton Diaz said...

Ew! That's right up there with Jersey Shore for me, Des. Sometimes it's the sheer idiocy and/or pure self-absorption that keeps us glued, tho, wondering what in the world these people are going to do next.

Ashlyn Chase said...

I haven't seen those shows, but admit to watching a few choice reality shows. Most anything with people (or celebrities) learning to dance...Designers or artists in creativity contests...House hunting both domestic and International...

Did I say a few???

Katie Reus said...

I've never actually heard of either of those shows but I'll admit to watching some of the 'Real Housewives of...' shows (Beverly Hills and NY). They're like crack. It's so bad for you but you just can't stop!

Dalton Diaz said...

Let's not forget the cooking reality shows!

Christine H said...

Hi DD, I haven't watched any of those shows. But I do love reality tv. But my husband Loves 19 kids and counting!! He loves how that family works together and how organized they are. I always feel a little bad that we couldn't have a family when I see him watching that one. ya know what I mean?

I'm on the reality bandwagon though have been for over 10 years now. I'm looking for to So you think you can dance coming back on, the bachelor has me watching again. I'm so happy to watch people fall in love. It's on of the best things to do in life. I loved the Next great artist, American Idol, All the Top Chefs There's so many I watch I couldn't possibly name them all. lol

Dalton Diaz said...

Life for the rest of us would not be like that with 19 kids!

Have you ever watched Iron Chef? I love that one, too. And Chopped. I never got into the Bachelor, tho.