Tuesday, November 30, 2010

A Traditional Christmas

Christmas, Christmas time is here! Time for joy and time for cheer…


I absolutely love this time of year. I’ve collected my first Victorian Christmas village piece of the season. I’m driving my husband crazy by tuning in to the 24-hour holiday music channel. I’ve already seen A Diva Christmas and my son and I are arguing over the 12 Days of Christmas. Of course he will not accept that, yes, on the 12th Day of Christmas, 12 drummers did drum, not ladies dancing!


These are all traditions my family indulges in…or rather they indulge for me. It’s tradition that makes Christmas so special. They are particular to each family but they all have certain things in common. They usher in and identify the season. And of course, they bring a continuity that is passed down from parents to children and on and on. I remember baking cookies on Christmas Eve and playing the Motown Christmas record before going to bed before Santa arrived. That was *umphh* years ago but now, my children, niece and nephew bake cookies, play Christmas music (we now mix Motown in with some Disney-Justin-Beaver-like stuff *shudder*) and then send them to bed where some of them wait for Santa while others pretend to wait…


We’ve started new traditions as well. The 25th is one holiday guaranteed to see the entire family together from New Jersey to Florida to Alabama. So we started the Christmas Talent Show. Everyone has to prepare an act to perform for the delight and amusement of the family—and at times the utter humiliation of the performer. The first year my husband and I danced to The TemptationsRudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer while last year my sister and I sung a rousing—and off-key—rendition of Danny Boy. It ensures that our holiday is filled with much laughter!


The tradition I really love, though, is the cheer, kindness and joy that seems to exist this time of year. People’s hearts are a little lighter. Their moods somewhat merrier. And a “Merry Christmas!” earns a smile and a greeting back. The world is more beautiful decorated with lights and ornaments. For 25 days the world focuses on their neighbor. We concern ourselves with the needs and joy of those less fortunate that sadly are often ignored the other 340 days of the year. It’s these traditions I look forward to more than hearing the Jackson 5’s Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas or having the gaudiest-lit house on the block. Or even hoping for that black-knee-length-leather-stiletto-pointed-toe boots-for-$49.99-at-Shoe-Town under the tree…just throwing that out there…ahem…


So, from my family to yours, let me be the first to wish you a very Merry Christmas!


I decided to share a bit of our traditions with you below!


13 comments:

Debra Glass said...

LOL Naima!!! I love it!

Stormy said...

You guys are just to cute!

Kaylea Cross said...

I wanna come to your place for Christmas! We go crazy here with the decorations and traditions too, but I don't think we've ever had as much fun as you guys are in that video. What a great idea!

Savannah Stuart said...

Pure awesome!! Now that I've met you guys in person, that's even more classic ;)

Dalton Diaz said...

That was awesome! Put me in the Xmas spirit like nothing else has yet. You can move!

Naima Simone said...

Hee-hee! Thanks, Debra!! I just watched Rudolph tonight, and while he didn't drop it like it's hot, it definitely increased the Christmas spirit around here! LOL!

Naima Simone said...

LOL! Thanks, Stormy! You know my husband's moves are what made me fall in love with him in the first place, right? LOL!

Naima Simone said...

Hi, Kaylea!
I don't know who has more fun...the family member performing or the others watching and laughing!! We never fail to come away with stomach aches and not from my cooking!! LOL! Splitting sides...not my ham...

Naima Simone said...

Hey, Savannah!
LOL! Now that you've met us in person it all makes sense, doesn't it? LOL!! That's why I love my family. We can have a good time any and everywhere!

You know you're invited, right?? Hee-hee!

Naima Simone said...

LOL!
Cool, Dalton! And thank you!! Hey...did you notice how I took it low at the end? Pretty good for an old woman!! LOL!

Jina Bacarr said...

Absolutely fabulous, Naima! A real delight to watch you two. You bring home the poignant message that Christmas Traditions are like a fir tree in the forest--new branches and buds are added each season which blossom year after year.

Michelle Polaris said...

I'm a day late, but this made my December start off perfectly. Thank you so much for making me smile. You guys must have an amazing time on Christmas.

Cara McKenna said...

Okay, next year at RomantiCon, I want to learn some of those moves from you, Naima! Perhaps we could choreograph a Naughty Dancer Chicks exhibition routine to put the Cavemen to shame… Or…no. Perhaps not.