Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Turtle and the Hare

I write slowly.

I’ve struggled with this dilemma ever since my muse kicked me to the curb and decided I’m only visiting material. Personally, I think she left to take a course on Murphy’s Law, or duties/karate lessons/oops, forgot mom was waiting in the parking lot moments. That last one was yesterday, and I got an hour and a half of golden writing time. There are times when being taken for granted rocks, especially when you’re smart enough to use the opportunity to guilt the offender into doing dishes, but I digress...



So where am I going with this? I am a Turtle. My writing partner is a Hare. I went to her house last week where we mapped out our next book. As I was leaving, I joked about finding the prologue in my inbox by the time I got home, which was about an hour and a half drive. That was Wed., it arrived by Fri. afternoon, along with almost complete character arcs. And I have no doubt she waited extra time before sending it to me.



If you’re thinking I’m upset here, you’re wrong. The thing is, I love her for this. See, the fable has it backwards. The Turtle does not win the race. Without the Hare, the Turtle never even finishes the damn race. He’s constantly distracted by perfecting the details. In search of this perfection, he makes one pit stop too many and ends up swimming in a pot of soup.

The Hare continues to do what a rabbit does best - “put out” with amazing focus and dedication - and leaves a legacy.

I know I’ll never be the Hare (the likes of which includes Nora Roberts), but I don’t want to be the Turtle anymore, either.

More on this as it develops. I haven’t perfected the details yet.

21 comments:

Michelle Polaris said...

I'm with you nowadays Dalton. I'm turtle all the way. Actually, I think I'm snail. What's slower than a snail? Anyway, when you get that plan together, let me know.

Wynter Daniels said...

I write like the hare (most days) but read like the turtle. I'm glad I can write quickly, but you should see my TBR pile! It just gets bigger and bigger. So what so I do? Keep buying (and winning) more books, of course;-)

Dalton Diaz said...

Michelle, maybe a smooshed snail? A snail in a salt marsh?
Wow, I need more coffee. I don't have a plan, other than hoping this endeavor will make me faster. The last 2 have, so I feel ready for this, but those books weren't 90k!

Dalton Diaz said...

Wynter, I am the complete opposite. Part of my problem, and by part I mean a whopping percentage, is my inability to move on without self-editing.

Desiree Holt said...

Oh, yeah! I know EXACTLY who the "hare" is. I think this really speaks for almost every writing partn ershsip. Someone ahs to make all those pit stops, right? And someone has to zoom through it, squeezing their legs and putting off the pit stop as long as possible! LOL!

Dalton Diaz said...

Easy for you to say, Des, you're a hare! I'm hoping I can someday become good enough to be one, too.

Ashlyn Chase said...

ROFL!

I don't know what to say. Of course my wonderful writing partner is talking about ME! I don't know how much of a hare I am. I'm hairbrained sometimes!

The thing is, I don't have distractions. In fact lately, my husband has been putting in so much time at work, I could write even more! (Is anyone here having an affair with my husband?)

Don't worry Dalton, I'll give you plenty of time to wrangle your muse and produce your magic. What matters is the final result, and when you and I put our hairbrains together we get some fun and kooky results!

Ash

Dalton Diaz said...

Well, I wasn't going to "out" you, Ash, tho I doubt it was a secret to anyone.

I am getting closer to no distractions, or at least fewer, more controllable ones.

I've only met your hubby twice. I'm not sure he'd even remember - he was too busy lookin' at you!

Amber Skyze said...

I've been a turtle as of late. Hopefully that will change for both of us soon. :)

Christine H said...

Well I knew who the hare was before she outed herself. lol I love how you to work together, Keep putting books out like Strokes and Love Cuffs and I'll keep reading them!!!

Bigs hugs to you both!!!

~ Christine

Mai said...

The turtle always wins the race, DD. Your hard work, and awesome body of work is wonderful.

Dalton Diaz said...

Thanks, Christine! This book is yet another new way for us to work together. Each one has been completely different, each one a great learning process.

Dalton Diaz said...

Thank you, Mai, but everyone needs both Turtle and Hare. We're hoping for a happy medium here, as long as I don't drown in soup first!

Dalton Diaz said...

Amber, you have quite a few books under your belt, and with various publishers. I don't think you'll end up in soup.

Sherry said...

Dalton, with all of the stuff you have going on, how in the world could you consider yourself a turtle.. You are the most non-turtle turtle I know. As amazing as it may seem, you have so many irons in the fire I'm surprised you have time to pee

Sherry said...

Dalton, with all of the stuff you have going on, how in the world could you consider yourself a turtle.. You are the most non-turtle turtle I know. As amazing as it may seem, you have so many irons in the fire I'm surprised you have time to pee

Dalton Diaz said...

LOL! Sherry, you're funny. Yes, life goes at 1000 mph. 3 years to go. I cherish this time with the fam, yes, but I'm excited for the freedom coming up, too.

Jina Bacarr said...

Very enjoyable post, Dalton. I enjoy your humor. Fun as well as true metaphors!

Katie Reus said...

I'll admit, I'm more like the hare. Thankfully one of my CPs (Wynter) is a hare too! We keep pace w/ each other and in a way, she keeps me wanting to push out more stuff so I have something to send to her that week :) That's a motivation all by itself! Very cute post!

Dalton Diaz said...

Thanks, Jina. I usually just get called a smart-ass.

Dalton Diaz said...

Katie, I know what you mean. Before Ash, I was a turtle moving backwards. She pushes me, energizes me, and appreciates what I bring to the table, too. You can't ask for more in a writing partner.

I don't remember hearing that you and Wynter are CP's. Michelle and I are, too!