Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Something Cool: 5 Tips to Keep Cool while writing Hot Sex Scenes



Unlike my heroine, Breezy Malone, in Spies, Lies & Naked Thighs, who’s been known to cool off on her job as a sex agent interrogating Russian spies with an ice cube between her legs, I find the soothing sounds of water running in a brook keep me cool while I'm writing hot sex scenes.


So as summer winds down and we’re all trying to figure out how to keep cool as the temperature goes up, way up, here are my 5 tips to keeping cool:


1. Keep the décor in your work area simple, selecting “cool” tones such as green, blue, or lavender. Avoid hot direct overhead lighting, use natural light whenever possible.

2. Cool fans. Not just the electric “blowing in your face” kind, but hand fans at your fingertips when you want to feel a cool breeze. Have some fun and paste photos of sexy nude hunks on the each side and fan away.

3. Create an illusion of coolness by diverting your senses. Hang wind chimes or Chinese lanterns where they will catch a breeze. Add beaded curtains in your doorway that move gently in the breeze. Then put on a sarong around your hips and write topless.

4. Tall, cool drinks. Make ice-cubes out of your favorite beverage (juice, cola, sports drinks), then toss the ice cubes into a tall glass of unflavored sparkling water. Add a sprig of mint. Spoon sorbet into ice-frosted glass bowls and enjoy!

5. Cool, running water soothes the senses and conjures up scenes of a man and a woman kissing passionately in the surf as foamy waves rush around them. Sounds delish…but if you don’t happen to have a running brook nearby, here is a short video of running water in a brook.



How hot the scenes are that you write while you’ll listening to the sounds of the running brook is up to you.

10 comments:

Hot Ash Romance Novels said...

Great ideas. Jina!

Winter is my hardest time. That's when I need to warm up. I have a bright light therapy light in my office to keep away the S.A.D. but it's neat all year since it mimics natural sunlight. My office is on the north side of the house and doesn't get much light. So you can imagine how much I love summer! My dream is to live someplace where it's summer all year long...or be a snowbird, even if my hair's a frizzy mess and I have to cool down with ice cubes.

Ash

Wynter said...

I love the summer, even here in Florida. Good ideas - but a picture of a hot guy on a fan would negate the cooling effect;-) I also like to write winter stories in summer. Nothing like imagining a blizzard to cool you down!

Jina Bacarr said...

Ashlyn, you're right, it's so important to have the right lighting in your office. It affects our mood when we write. Although writing by moonlight does have its advantages if you're not alone...

Jina Bacarr said...

Good point, Wynter, about the hot guy on the fan. Does this mean I have to peel off all those cool pix on my fans?

Naima Simone said...

LOL! I love this, Jina! Especially the writing topless. I just don't think this one would work for me. Well, it wouldn't work if the hubby was home because he would take that as an invitation and I wouldn't get ANY writing done! Although...I would get lotsa inspiration for the love scenes...let me think on this...LOL!

Love the tips, Jina!!

Jina Bacarr said...

Naima, glad you enjoyed the tips! You gotta be cool to write hot!

Katie Reus said...

I couldn't listen to water running b/c it would drive me crazy but I love the other ideas! I actually have a fan in my office. Because of the location of it, it's usually the hottest room in the house.

Dalton Diaz said...

I do love some of these ideas, but there are two that are on my no list.
1. Writing topless. Hard to type thru the boobs.
2. The beach. Sand hurts!

Jina Bacarr said...

Katie, your writing room is the hottest room in your house because of your hot stories!

Jina Bacarr said...

Dalton, glad you enjoyed the other tips! I love cool sorbet in a frosted dish on a hot day, though we're cooling down here with overcast skies today.