Thursday, April 15, 2010

Thanks, I Needed That


For the last few months, I’ve done the worst thing possible for a writer to do – I stopped writing. Worse, I stopped giving myself time to even contemplate writing. It’s been months of thinking there’s always tomorrow. Horror of all horrors, a couple of times I even procrastinated by cleaning.

My muse has always been a fickle bitch, but I did this to myself. She was there quite a number of times, poking me, prodding me, but there was always something else going on. I could list some of those things, but there would be no point. There was nothing bad, only time consuming, and this isn’t intended as a whine.

Apparently, my muse has had enough. Yesterday, the bitch whacked me upside the head and wouldn’t take no for an answer. I listened, I took notes, and lo and behold, I have an outline for another Cougar Challenge story.

I can’t wait to get started. Writing is so much more than a job, it’s a necessity. It’s more than what I do, it’s who I am. When I don’t write, very little in the real world makes me happy.

So thank you, Muse. I’ll stop calling you a bitch now, and I can stop being one! For the most part. Um, occasionally. Ok, maybe if and when the kids actually empty the dishwasher without being asked ten times.

13 comments:

Michelle Polaris said...

Dalton--I am dancing, I am prancing, I am happy as all get out that you and your muse have mended fences and you are jumping into writing again. Wheeeeeeee! Sorry to be so giddy, but I've been waiting and waiting and waiting.... You get the picture. Uh, so, when can I read it? Not that I'm impatient or anything. SMILE!

Wynter Daniels said...

Glad your muse put her foot down! I've had short bursts of the same problem, usually around holidays or kids' school vacations. Thankfully, I haven't had one for a while though.

Cara McKenna said...

I think you should go ahead and keep calling your muse a bitch, Dalton—I love a good contentious love-hate relationship. Makes the chemistry so damn flammable!

Big woots on your illustrious return to the keyboard. It sucks how easy it can sometimes be to fall into the trap of thinking that just because our jobs are creative and (at least in my case) not particularly lucrative, they should be relegated to the backseat. Sometimes we really need to put our feet down and remind ourselves and others that what we do is real and challenging and worthy work.

Terry Odell said...

Sounds like there's synchronicity in the blogosphere again. I've been using "two submissions out there already" and "moving across the country" but the writing is starting up again.

And the spamword is ebrat. Hmmm...someone trying to tell me something?

Dalton Diaz said...

I should have something by mid May, Michelle. You guys have been very, very patient. Thank you!

Wynter, that's exactly what happened to me. Nothing bad - quite the opposite, but it has felt like I not only missed the bus, I've been chasing it down every day.

Dalton Diaz said...

And necessary for our sanity, Cara. I like to hold on to what little I have left!

Terry, great to hear from you! I hope you'll be at RT and/or romanticon. A cross-country move, huh? I hope it wasn't towards cold weather.

Ashlyn Chase said...

I have never seen you be a bitch, Dalton. But I know how I get when I'm not allowed to express myself. Bitchy barely covers it.

I'm glad I can write daily now. If for some reason I can't (i.e. power outages, etc.) it's usually with a feeling that I'm missing something major.

Writing is a habit, like anything else. It's just a good one.

Dalton Diaz said...

Wow, Ash, I must be on my best behavior around you! Drive with me some day. I like to curse out stupid people.

Liane Gentry Skye said...

I'm there with you, sweetie. Let's get this party re-started! :)

Dalton Diaz said...

What a great day to start over in the US. It's Tax Day! WOO-H...oh. I owe “what?"

Mai said...

When the muse says jump, I thought you authors were suppose to say how high? LOL
I'm happy your communicating again DD, can't wait to see what you come up with!

Dalton Diaz said...

Mai, that's exactly right. That's why the bi- er, I mean, lady with a strong disposition whapped me one.
She does not like to be ignored.

Jina Bacarr said...

Dalton,
It's a pleasure to hear the joy in your heart re: your writing. Good job. Remember, you never really stopped writing. You've been posting here at NAC and commenting. It's all writing. It's like exercise: keeping your mental parts moving is vital to your writing health!