Thursday, March 11, 2010

Research Rules!


There I was, standing in the check out aisle of my local grocery store, when, buried among the Brangelina and Martians Made Off with Waldo headlines, this week’s Cosmopolitan caught my eye.

I haven’t read Cosmo in years. Every time I’d get sucked into shelling out over four bucks for any magazine that promised sex tips, I was disappointed. Headlines like this one that caught my eye, “How to Touch a Naked Man (16 naughty strokes that will send him over the edge by Bethany Heitman, March 2010) inevitably led to articles of “seduction” that were anything but useful.

An idea for a blog was born. I even started it:
Have you seen the covers of most women’s magazines? There is always, ALWAYS a sex “secret” to pleasing your lover.
Step away from the supermarket checkout counter.
Pick up an erotic romance.


Thankfully, as any good researcher would, I had bought the Cosmo and proceeded to flip to the article for more ammunition.

Holy Freakin’ Moly!

When did they start getting serious and not full of purple-prose fluff, like “Don’t forget to pay special attention to his belly button; it can be a real turn-on for your man.” Sometime in the last few years, they got graphic and started giving real advice.

I’m in shock, I’m in awe, I missed the boat! I need to get a subscription!

I haven’t read the rest of the magazine yet, and I’m sure there are still articles/advice that will have me rolling my eyes, but for what it’s worth, I’m impressed. And yes, I’m embarrassed that I let myself miss the boat. I am, as of a few minutes ago, a new subscriber.

So thanks, Cosmopolitan, for keeping up with the times. For realizing that women are interested in more than stimulating a lover’s belly button.

11 comments:

Michelle Polaris said...

It's encouraging to know you think the sex advice has changed. I never used to buy the magazines in the past, so I don't have a grasp on the transition. It still seems to me that even if they get down and dirty and helpful that you can only reprint the same advice so many times. But I'm willing to suck up the dollars in the name of research at least once more (grin). And nothing will replace the erotic romances themselves.

Cara McKenna said...

Heh. I bought a stack of magazines (Cosmo, Marie Claire, In Style) last year when I was struggling to connect with a character. I decided to have an empathetic "Kate day" where I did things Kate liked, which included drinking half a bottle of white wine at four in the afternoon and reading trashy mags. I even took a highlighter and circled things Kate would want (we have very different taste in shoes and handbags.)

There's something unspeakably exciting about the promise of a glossy magazine and the leisure time to spend melting your brain, sifting for gems among the ads. Makes me misty for my teenage years, all those hours lost perusing Mademoiselle in the bathtub, wondering when I might ever have occasion to lave a man's belly button…

Wynter Daniels said...

I discovered this magazine thing during an interminable wait in a doctor's office. Maybe romance authors are moonlighting in the mag business;-)

Wynter Daniels said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dalton Diaz said...

Michelle, Cara, and Wynter, I'm so glad I'm not alone! I have yet to read the Cosmo issue cover to cover, but damn! I was shocked and awed by what I have read. The ad pics are pretty hot, too, but I do remember that always being the case.
Woo-Hoo!

Dalton Diaz said...

Hmm. So there are a couple of suggestions from Cara for other "research" magazines. Any other suggestions out there? For the articles and pics, not the fashion! I did subscribe to Men's Health for awhile, but it got monotinous pretty quickly.

Savannah Stuart said...

I love Cosmo! You should check out their online stuff. The sex position of the day (today) is called the Backstairs Boogaloo...and no, I'm not making that up. Check it out, lol!

Jina Bacarr said...

Thankz for the fun info, Dalton! Yes, Cosmo has caught up with the times--even in Germany.

My Japanese Art of Sex book (nonfiction) was featured in an article in the German Cosmo a while back called: "The Erotic Arts of the Geisha" under Lieben und Leben. Love and Life.

Dalton Diaz said...

Savannah, you're kidding! Wow, I really have been missing out.

Jina, oh, wow, that's awesome! Must have been a blast to write.

Stephanie Adkins said...

Add me to the Cosmo lovers too! :) I didn't know about the online stuff though. Going over there to check it out now! LOL

Naima Simone said...

I feel like ducking my head in shame. I don't think I've ever read a Cosmo magazine...I used to take my grandmother's Good Housekeeping magazines and read them on the porch but that was about as risque as I got with magazines. I don't think Good Housekeeping has the Backstairs Boogaloo in it...LOL!

I feel like such a prude! I'm going to Walmart in the morning and bone up--no pun intended!--on Cosmo!