Thursday, February 11, 2010

Random Thoughts on Reading


I’m not always naughty

Honest. I have a few minutes every day when I don’t think about sex.

Seriously, even my reading pleasure has to take a break every once in awhile. Right now, for instance, I’m on a Lavyrle Spencer kick. I just got off a month long JR Ward kick after reading Rhev’s story. Before that, it was pure erotic romance for a few months, and before that I believe it was Suzanne Brockmann’s SEALS. My keeper shelves are 3 units across, double layered, 3 deep, and they hold everything from Judith McNaught historicals to Joey Hill BDSM erotica. I’m kinda known for my TBR piles, too.

There are only two requirements in my reading world.

Rule #1: It must be a romance.

I’m a complete reverse snob. I don’t want to read mysteries, horror, or anything else unless the main storyline is a romance. Scratch that. I don’t want to read horror at all. Have I mentioned that I’m a wuss? I tried Ann Rice’s vampire series and didn’t sleep for days. Her Sleeping Beauty series, now that’s another story!

Rule #2: Show me the money shot.

I love sexual tension, but I want satisfaction! No matter the genre I’m reading, I want to live in the moment, especially that first time they have sex. I want to climb that mountain and fall off the edge of the cliff with them. Most of all, I want to be inside their heads to know why it’s different between these two (or more!) people.

Tonight, I’ll be curling up with Lavyrle Spencer. I don’t think this particular kick will last long because I’m already starting to feel an old Barbara Delinsky beckon. Guess I’m not done feeding my romantic soul before getting down to writing myself. Or, hey, I just really love to read.

Did I mention that I’m allergic to dust and my allergist said I shouldn’t keep any books in my bedroom? Not. Gonna. Happen. We all suffer for our addictions, and the withdrawal would kill me for sure.

Hell, why wait for night? I’m coming, Barbara. Sorry, Lavyrle, but I know you’ll be here for me. Always.

9 comments:

Michelle Polaris said...

Hey Dalton,
I fluctuate between romantic erotica and urban fantasy in my reading. Whenever I'm reading one I feel guilty about the TBR pile in the other genre. Every once and a while I throw in a historical romance or sci-fi or classic fantasy.

In addition, now I feel guilty when I read on my Nook and ignore the print copy TBR pile I still have left over. Then I read a print book and feel guilty for ignoring my Nook. I can't please myself. Luckily, I enjoy the vast majority of what I do read.

Cara McKenna said...

I fear I may be allergic to romances that close the bedroom door. Thus I have stricken them from TBR pile for health reasons.

Dalton Diaz said...

Michelle, it's official. Our books are like our children, or at least extended members of our family. I can't tell you what I had for lunch yesterday, but I remember entire scenes in books I read 20 years ago.

Dalton Diaz said...

Cara,
They make good door stoppers.

Savannah Stuart said...

Rule # 2 is important to me too when I'm reading romance (any genre). However I do like to read non-fiction military books, history books, and UF (though I'm picky about UF authors)

Jina Bacarr said...

Dalton,

I read a lot of research these days...not too much time for anything else.

Hopefully the Dust Fairy will wave her magic wand and keep your books dust free!

Naima Simone said...

Hi, Dalton!
I have a TBR pile and a TBRA (To Be Read Again) pile! On top of the TBR pile is currently Lora Leigh's new release "Guilty Pleasure" and Nalini Singh's "Archangel's Kiss". In the TBRA pile is Linda Howard's "Son of the Morning". I have to read that at least once a year. And we cannot forget Julie Garwood's "Ransom"! I love that book!

I too love romance novels and am joining the ranks of reverse snobbery. Oh well...Like you, I must have the money shot! The build-up is like stringing and pulling the bow...but if you don't shoot the arrow, what the heck was the point?

Stephanie Adkins said...

Great post, Dalton! When I have the time to sit and read, I love to indulge in some Nan Ryan or Linda Lael Miller. I think I have every one of their books, and some I've read two or three times. :)

Naima Simone said...

Hi, Dalton!
I have a TBR pile and a TBRA (To Be Read Again) pile! On top of the TBR pile is currently Lora Leigh's new release "Guilty Pleasure" and Nalini Singh's "Archangel's Kiss". In the TBRA pile is Linda Howard's "Son of the Morning". I have to read that at least once a year. And we cannot forget Julie Garwood's "Ransom"! I love those books!

I too love romance novels and am joining the ranks of reverse snobbery. Oh well...Like you, I must have the money shot! The build-up is like stringing and pulling the bow...but if you don't shoot the arrow, what the heck was the point?