Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A Naughty Victorian Lady writes her even naughtier memoir

by Lady Carlton née Katie O'Roarke, heroine of "The Blonde Samurai"

Naughty memoir? Could there be a more sensual title to make you continue reading?

You shall see for yourself as I present to you the opening passages of "The Blonde Samurai:"


"San Francisco

15 September 1876

" 'Tis not an easy task I have, dear lady reader, to respond to the vicious gossip spread about me through Mayfair drawing rooms since I returned to England. Whispers of euphoric nights with not one but two men pleasuring me; mysterious items to soothe a woman's burning need for clitoral touch and fill her with orgasmic bliss; the erotic game of domination with girls strapped down and flogged upon their bare buttocks.

"Did I take part in these wild imaginings? Or are they merely tales fabricated by a besotted male scribbler to sell his stories and make his fortune?

"You be the judge as you continue to read, and I hope you will, for pages and pages of erotic delights await you. What is undisputed is that I ran away from my husband and disappeared. Some say I went mad and was confined to an asylum. Others insist I entered a convent.

"Neither is true, but the scandal I provoked shook the standards of bland respectability and sobriety that govern the upper class and started nonstop discussions about what they deemed to be my outrageous behavior and what should be done about it.

"Done about it? As if they alone exist on a lofty plane and rule all those below. I subscribed to no such rules and they shunned me for it. I will shock you further, for I shall begin my story with a confession, one that will titillate you and give you another reason to speculate whether what you've heard whispered about me is true.

" 'Tis a fact that I, a spirited daughter of Erin by way of America, came to London in the summer of 1872 seeking a titled match. Be it known my looks were plain and my opinions brash, sending my marital prospects into discord among my suitors, though for reasons I shall make clear in these pages, I married well.


"Yet the first man I took to my bed after my wedding night was not my husband—or yours—but one of the most mysterious, elusive and enigmatic men in all Japan. A samurai.

"His name was Shintaro.

"I shall never forget the moment the tall, muscular samurai swept into the room, his heavy walk making the wooden floor tremble, his presence commanding, electrifying, his melodic, deep voice speaking to me in his native tongue about waterfalls and flowers and the gods as if he was a poet and could produce an alchemy of words to create harmony between us.

"I burned with such desire I could not catch my breath. All I wanted was him. Bold, handsome he was, and as persuasive as the wind nudging a morning glory up the vine with his heated breath, exposing her to the sun, then seducing her to open up to him and live her vivid, unspoken dreams in his arms."


I pray you shall pick up a copy of my memoir and continue reading my story…

Bookmark and Share

February 2010: meet The Blonde Samurai
She embraced the way of the warrior. Two swords. Two loves.”

9 comments:

Wynter said...

Very enticing. Can't wait to read the book!

Cara McKenna said...

Yet more proof that a) the erotica genre offers authors a ton of freedom about what they can write and see published, and b) there's an erotica out there for every taste!

Stephanie Adkins said...

I agree with Wynter and Cara. I can't wait to read this, Jina! :)

Jina Bacarr said...

Thank you, Wynter, re: opening excerpt. My book is written as a memoir in response to what happened to the heroine when she returned to England after her adventure in Japan...a "tell all" so to speak.

But with a Victorian POV!

Jina Bacarr said...

Cara,

So true about the erotica genre offering the writer a lot of freedom. There are some surprises in Blonde Samurai I shan't give away!!

Historical erotic romance is challenging, not just because of the research but because the mores of the time must be adhered to, though sexual "goings-on" were quite open in Japan at this time. Every town had their "pleasure quarters"...

Jina Bacarr said...

Thank you, Stephanie!! It was fun writing a sexy Victorian--setting it in Japan gave me the freedom to allow my heroine to explore her sexuality on many levels; though she still yearns for the security of hearth and home...

Naima Simone said...

I love your excerpts, Jina! I can't wait for the book to come out! The flow of the words is so beautiful and authentic. I just know I'm going to enjoy it!

Jina Bacarr said...

Thank you, Naima, for such a wonderful comment about Blonde Samurai! My book was released this week and is for sale at all the regular venues such at Amazon, B&N etc.

You can read the Prologue and Chapter 1 over at the Harlequin site.

Click on the "Browse the Book" at this site: The Blonde Samurai at eHarlequin.com

Again, thank you!

Michelle Polaris said...

This is such an exciting and unusual storyline choice and I agree with Cara that the genre offers so much for everyone, especially if we embrace our imaginations. I am excited to read this. Wonderful news on the release this week!