Thursday, January 14, 2010

Newest Naughty Chick Reveals...


Hey there, I’m Dalton Diaz, and I’ll be alternating Thursdays with Cara McKenna, but it will only be me until February 11th. That’s when she gets back from the best vacation EVER! I’d insert something spiteful from envy, but she’s really nice and funny as hell (and not afraid to hurt me), so Cara, have a fabulous time and bring back lots of inspiration.

So I’m sitting here trying to come up with something naughty to introduce myself, but there is only one thing on my mind after Tues. night.

My name is Dalton Diaz, and I am an American Idol addict.

Don’t get me wrong; this is not an all-consuming addiction. At least not until it gets down to about the top 12 contestants. In fact, I find most of it tedious and often cruel until that point. And replacing Paula Abdul with Ellen Degeneres? Love the woman, but really? I can’t see it working, and I can only hope I end up eating my words.

In truth, Idol almost lost my family as fans. After the Sinjaya debacle, we’d given up hope that the show would be about the talent. So what changed it for us?

Adam Lambert.

Big surprise, right? He’s beautifully, unapologetically gay, and after co-authoring Illegal Moves (with Samantha Cayto) featuring a bisexual secondary character who steals the show, it’s no secret on which side of the fence my ass is firmly planted. But this is a singing competition. S-I-N-G-I-N-G.

I can still remember the exact moment Adam rocked my world. I had to watch the show alone because DH was on a business trip and the teenmonsters had lost interest, when Adam lit up the stage with his presence (and background flames) and belted out a version of Ring of Fire that had my jaw on the floor. I TIVOed it. I watched it repeatedly. I called DH & told him to make sure he caught the show when it hit his time zone. He didn’t. I played it for him when he got home and his jaw hit the floor. We watched it repeatedly and played it for anyone who stepped foot in our house.

The thing is, we are a musical family. OK, my DH, his family, my ancestors and offspring are musical. I’m tone deaf and do a mean Edith Bunker. DH even played in a band on Sunset Blvd back in the day. I had a stint as girlfriend/groupie/bar bitch. There are pictures. Anyhoo, after that Adam moment, all in the house began to gather to watch the show, to argue, to vote. Together. We geared up for the 2010 premier by watching 2009 in reruns on reality tv. (Unfortunately, I failed to set the Tivo to save more than 5 episodes of the original and that Ring of Fire performance disappeared. I’ve just gotten my TIVO privileges back, btw.)

Hey, I started off by warning you that I’m an American Idol addict. If you want to reach me, I can be found on the couch, in front of the TV on Tues. and Thurs nights. But don’t call. I’ll be with my entire family, having a great time.
You won’t be able to get through anyway. We’ll be voting.

11 comments:

Wynter Daniels said...

Welcome to the Chicks, Dalton. I'm probably the only person in the western hemisphere who has never seen Idol. I have enough addictions! But I love Ellen - hopefully she will be great.

Michelle Polaris said...

Wynter, you are not the only person in the Western hemisphere to have never seen Idol. I am #2. But I love Ellen too and so I am optimistic that her presence will work out. Dalton, welcome to the Chicks. I'm totally with you on Edith Bunker singing talent. That's me in a nutshell. But I can't even bang away on the piano as well as she was able. I do love music, however. If I watched tv at all nowadays, I'd probably be tuning in with you to Idol. Go Adam!

Savannah Stuart said...

Welcome to the blog, Dalton! And you guys aren't alone, I've never seen it either! No reason either, I just haven't. If I watch tv, it's usually for something like Supernatural or Medium :) Maybe I'll try and check it out this year.

Regina Carlysle said...

It's funny. I never got into the show but there was a rerun deal on the other night and I actually caught Adam Lambert singing. Ummm. yeah. Rivetted. He is very very good. Don't know how Ellen will work for the show but she Might just be a breath of fresh air. I really like her.

Naima Simone said...

Hi, Dalton!
And welcome, welcome to the Naughty Author Chicks! I too was an American Idol addict for a while there. But when Ruben beat out Clay I started becoming really pessimistic!! I still haven't fully let go of my bitterness...I sided with your family for a long while there. David Cook won me back over though! His "Billie Jean" performance--not to mention that Mariah Carey song he did!!--completely blew me away. And Adam Lambert! What a talent! I have my own reasons about why he didn't win but that's another blog!! *dusting off soapbox and kicking it back under the bed*

I'm kinda holding off to see if they're going to have someone really amazing this year. The auditions, while yes admittedly cruel, are funny as all get out!! Whew! Do I get some chuckles!!

Sinjaya and that "She Bangs" kid...jokes!! LOL!!

Dalton Diaz said...

Naima, I know! We did stop watching for awhile, and then Adam reminded us what it's really all about. Kris Allen is great, too, and did blow me away with one of his last performances, but Adam...wow.
Wynter, Michelle, Savannah, and Regina, get on board! You're missing a great show. At least watch when it gets down to the top 12. Fascinating.

Cris Anson said...

Your post is too funny, Dalton. I confess, I haven't seen Idol, either. My passion is Dancing with the Stars, especially the season that had Gilles Marini in it . I was bummed when he didn't win the trophy. Then I pull the plug on the TV until the next season. Honest. But I read lots and lots of Ellora's Cave books in the meantime

Dalton Diaz said...

Oh, I couldn't watch anything after Mario Lopez. To watch that bod-er, I mean man in action...

Jina Bacarr said...

Welcome, Dalton. Your lively post was a joy to read. Glad to have you with us.

Ashlyn Chase said...

I haven't watched it in quite a while, but I know what you mean about their sometimes getting it wrong. Very frustrating. And yet, it's been the number two guys that have gone on to fame and fortune on at least a couple of occasions. Clay Aiken...now Adam Lampert.

I first saw him on--guess what--the Ellen Show. I'm an Ellen addict. No need for her last name. Everyone knows who you mean when you say, "Ellen."

I haven't seen her on AI, but I can imagine she'll interject some fun into the panel. I'm worried though. She seems tired on her own show and has mentioned how much work idol is.

So, if you're not crazy about her, Dalton, she may not last. She assured her audience yesterday that unlike Oprah, she's not ending her show.
Thank goodness! I don't want to go without my Ellen fix!

Ash

Dalton Diaz said...

Thanks Jina! Thrilled to be here.
Ash, I love Ellen! Absolutely love her. Just can't see her in this role.