Thursday, January 28, 2010

Humor is Everything


There is nothing I love more than a sense of humor, in real life and in books. I like to think that I have a good sense of humor, though I’ll admit I hear a lot of cricket chirping after my jokes.

Have you ever met someone with absolutely no sense of humor? Did you have any desire to meet up with them again?

Just about anything in life can be met head-on with humor. It makes the fun stuff even more fun, and it’s just as good as chicken soup for whatever ails you. It even makes for great sex.

To prove my point, I’m going to leave you with an interchange between Elizabeth (“Elle”) and Kevin from Winters’ Thaw, my book in the Cougar Challenge series. She’s apprehensive about having an older body with some wear and tear on it. He meets that apprehension head on and douses it with humor.

“Elle?” He used his finger to trace the lacy edging at her cleavage until she opened her eyes to look at him. “Question two. Why are you so afraid to lose the bra?”

Okay, she could do this.

“I’m not afraid, exactly,” Elizabeth said. “I just know I’m…different from what you’re used to.”

Kevin’s eyes dropped to her chest and he stared as though he had X-ray vision. “Do you have an extra nipple or something?”

If anything, he looked more intrigued. “That’s not as uncommon as you think but no.”

“Do you have nipples? I mean, the bumps I see could be stick-on.”

Great. Now he was just messing with her, which oddly gave her more courage to set him straight. “Eyes up here, bud. There are two of everything and only two of everything. I’m talking about gravity. I’m not only older than you’re used to, I’ve nursed two kids.”

“If you’d had three, that extra nipple would have been useful.”

“Kevin!”

“What do you want me to say?” He caught his finger in the front clasp of her bra and gave a little tug. “I like real breasts. Doesn’t matter what size, what shape, pierced or not pierced. I’ve dated women with implants and I don’t find it attractive.”

She wasn’t buying it for a minute. “Isn’t that every man’s fantasy? Legs to the armpits and breasts to the eyebrows?”

“Are we still on the blunt honesty kick?” he asked.

“Of course.”

“I slept with one of them and it was like trying to balance on two handballs. I don’t think it was all that comfortable for her either. The sex was okay but there wasn’t a repeat.” He traced the swells of her breast with the back of his finger. “A woman’s skin is so soft. I like to feel as much of it against me as I can.”

It would have been better not to laugh at that moment but she couldn’t help it. All she could see was Phil fruitlessly thrusting away at Tanya, only to be bounced off like a trampoline. Hey, maybe that was how she’d sprung a leak!

“Did I say something wrong?” Kevin asked.

“No, the complete opposite,” she assured him. “Thank you. You have no idea.”

His fingers came to rest on the clasp again. “So enlighten me.”

14 comments:

Cara McKenna said...

Have I ever met anyone without a sense of humor? Yes! My old boss from yonks ago was like that. Not like she was disapproving or willfully unamaused, but like she just didn't have the gene that processes things and labels them funny. Humor, be it ironic, slapstick, sadistic, cutesy, you name it, it just didn't register. Cue those crickets, Dalton. She also had no opinions about music. Didn't matter what genre, she never once hummed, sang along, said "Oh, I like [or hate] this song!" or mentioned any type of music she had any sort of feeling about. I seriously don't think she'd have noticed if we switched the radio from pop to hardcore gangsta rap. It. Was. Creepy. As. Hell. Like she was missing a bit of wiring. All that said, she was definitely passionate about other things, like her exercise regimen and her children, so she wasn't a robot. Still, it did give me the shivers sometimes.

Cecile said...

Okay, missed the update blog notice. Love the new banner and layout!! Verrra nice!

Oh, I do love a book with a great sense of humor. I love when I am reading and start laughing and I get the look from hubby like, "What is wrong with you, you are reading???"

I love the tease you left us with! I will be checking this book out! Thanks! =)

Stephanie Adkins said...

Why is it everytime I look at that cover I get distracted? LOL! I love books with a sense of humor too. :) Great post, Dalton!

Michelle Polaris said...

You are so right, Dalton! Without humor I think life would be completely different and not even as close to as enjoyable and interesting. This was the perfect excerpt, by the way, and just as hot if not more so than the last time I read it. I may err on the side of a sarcastic style myself, but it takes all flavors.

Cara, that boss of yours did sound pretty scary. But mostly I'm just sad for her.

Wynter Daniels said...

Love the excerpt! I always throw some humor into my books. It's such an aphrodisiac!

Savannah Stuart said...

I love humor in romance! Especially darker ones. A bit of wry wit is always appreciated :)

Dalton Diaz said...

Sorry to get to see your comments so late in the day. Darn day job! Cara, I know what you mean! I actually had a whole story in there about a woman Dr. I went to, but I didn't end up posting that part. I wonder if it is some kind of disability because I would have described this Dr. the exact same way you described your boss - completely void of any emotion.

Dalton Diaz said...

Cecile, thanks! Glad I didn't make the crickets chirp with that excerpt.

Stephanie, I love this cover, too. Wait until you see the new one (co-written w/Ashlyn Chase!) by the same artist when it comes out in Aug. Yowza!

Michelle, you have a wonderful sense of humor, and I'm honored to make you laugh.

Wynter and Savannah, yes! Give me a book with humor, any type of humor, and I'm hooked.

Jina Bacarr said...

Dalton,

Original, quirky, funny, and downright laugh out loud. I totally enjoyed your excerpt. You have a wry, refreshing and sexy voice. I like your style.

Dalton Diaz said...

Wow, Jina, what a great way to start my writing day. Thank you so much!

Caden O'Brien said...

Oh yeah, a sense of humor, especially when they can also laugh at themselves, is mandatory!

Hey, loved the excerpt and the storyline! I'm going to track down that book and read & review it. As a woman of "a certain age" I can really relate. :-)

Dalton Diaz said...

Caden, that would be great! Winters' Thaw is book 3 in the Cougar Challenge Series.

They're all available at Ellora's Cave www.JasmineJade.com

Thanks!

Naima Simone said...

LOL! Third nipple! Hilarious! I love humor in people and books! Sarcasm and humor are absolute winners with me. As for the crickets...umm...so been there. I think my sarcasm may outdo my humor at times and people look at me like WTF??? LOL!!!

Hot excerpt and it made me laugh out loud!! And I have to agree with Stephanie...it took me a moment to get past the cover to read the blog! HOT!

Dalton Diaz said...

Naima, no kidding, eh?!