Thursday, January 21, 2010

Go Ahead, Ask Me Anything…Almost


As long as it pertains to my books, characters, or an opinion I feel strongly about, you’ll probably get an honest answer. I say probably here because if there’s no chance I’ll ever meet you, I’ll likely tell you I’m a petite blonde in my early twenties. Wait, make that mid twenties so I don’t have to pay extra to rent a car.

I’ll answer personal questions about the obvious. Why Dalton Diaz (DD)? Because Ashlyn Chase has a great sense of humor and she chose the name. Anyone within eye-poking distance of me knows how she came up with that one.

What I don’t get is when people ask me about my sex life. Not whether I’m comfortable writing about certain sex acts, but if I indulge in them myself. Huh?

Let me start with research vs reality. Research is the fun part of the job! Is it physically possible as described for tab A to fit into slot B? Really? Ok, let’s give him another inch… Sometimes research is hands-on, but most of the time you put a call out to your peeps or you look online. Think about it; most of us do not have sex slaves on call 24/7. I’m sure there are authors out there who live that lifestyle, too, but I’m not asking!

I’ve never been able to figure out why some people assume contemporary erotic authors can only write from experience vs authors who write about vampires or ghosts. I’m pretty sure JR Ward and Laurell K. Hamilton aren’t going around biting males to see how it tastes and feels, any more than Lora Leigh is finding humans bred with felines to interview!

In Love Cuffs, I wrote the male point of view. I’m not a man. In Illegal Moves, I wrote a bisexual male point of view. I’m not a bisexual male. My heroines hold their own. I’m a total wimp.

In truth, this is what I love most about writing. I can be anyone, try anything, and if I want to, have a sex slave 24/7. I don’t think DH would wear that T-shirt, though.

So talk to me. My favorite thing about Romanticon last year was the focus group workshops. I love to hear what you like to read. You never know what might show up in a book.

15 comments:

Wynter Daniels said...

I've been asked those questions about my sex life, too. Well of course I have a sex slave 24/7, doesn't everyone?

Michelle Polaris said...

Perhaps we as authors need to perfect a response to personal questions. Raised eyebrows, a tilt of our heads, a saucy smile and low chuckle. Then we can say, "I file that under private." Walk away and leave them guessing. Talk about a lure to buy more of our books. I guess you'll never really know, readers. Sorry. But finding out is not nearly as fun as speculating anyway. Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction, but mostly it's just dull.

Terry Odell said...

Yeah, people ask me how I research my sex scenes, but nobody seems to care how many different ways I've killed people in my novels.

Dalton Diaz said...

lOL! Only in my mind, Wynter. And I really, really appreciate him.

Michelle, I don't mind talking about character sex lives, in fact, I want to talk about that. That's never dull!

Terry, um, just how many people have you killed off...in your books?

Jina Bacarr said...

You make excellent points in your post, Dalton, about readers assuming that contemporary erotic writers have "hands-on" research! That's why I write historicals...

Naima Simone said...

Hi, Dalton!
I agree completely! Because I write erotic romance people assume I'm a freaky nympho! LOL! When people ask me about research I tell them to check with my Head of R & D--my husband!

Maybe the Naughty Author Chicks should come up with a list of Naughty Comebacks!!

Dalton Diaz said...

Naima, I like that one! Head of R & D - I'll bet they make a shirt for it, too.

Jina, so no one has ever asked you if your pantaloons get in the way?

Jina Bacarr said...

Dalton--I love your comment about the pantaloons; fortunately for me, the 19th century heroine in my upcoming novel wears a kimono. (A nagajuban or underslip was worn under the kimono but no drawers.)

Not a pantaloon in sight...

Savannah Stuart said...

I agree! I totally don't understand why people ask me about my sex scenes 'research'. I also write about werewolves and I've killed plenty of people off in my books yet they never ask how I research that stuff. :)

EmilyBryan said...

Hi Dalton! Join the club. I was recently asked to share my favorite sexual position for someone else's blog.

I'm basically a shy person. I think lots of writers are. And what happens between me and my DH is just for us.

But because the requester was one my Facebook friends, I did send her a little something to use. Just not the wildly experimental "oughta be teased on the cover of Cosmo" bit she was expecting.

Dalton Diaz said...

Geez, Emily, warn a girl! I almost spewed my coffee all over the screen!

Kate Champagne said...

Woo hoo!

Dalton Diaz said...

Almost, Kate. Don't forget the almost here!!! Good to see you.

Stephanie Adkins said...

Wait ... we don't have sex slaves on call 24/7? LOL *wink* I get those questions too. I guess it just comes along with the territory. LOL

Dalton Diaz said...

Stephanie, that's true. I can't claim I've never been guilty of it myself. I Can't wait to read Seducing Reagan, btw. My kind of story!