Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Happy Turkey Day and a Thanksgiving excerpt from The Blonde Samurai


by Jina Bacarr

On this cool autumn day before Thanksgiving, I can't help but think about how giving thanks for all the wonderful blessings in our lives is universal. It became so real to me when the heroine in my upcoming novel, The Blonde Samurai, is in 1874 Japan celebrating Thanksgiving with her samurai family.

As Katie O'Roarke writes in her memoir:

"Nami and I rushed about cleaning straw mats, gathering fresh blossoms for the alcove and cooking rice for rice balls with pickled plums at the center, everything we needed to do to prepare for the thanksgiving harvests. A time to view the moon, according to tradition, compose verses and drink sake.

And share my futon with my samurai.

And in a moment of candor I shall admit to you that I experienced deep pangs of missing my family, wondering what they would think if they knew their girl Katie was celebrating a thanksgiving harvest similar to the spirited holiday back in America.

I believed that Da and Mother believed me well and in good health, for I was of the persuasion that my dear husband James would have avoided telling them anything that would jeopardize his financial position.

All these thoughts came to mind that day, dear lady reader, for I knew the paradisaical existence I had been living couldn't last. I saw the signs everywhere. Shintaro off for long periods of time with Akira and his samurai. Swordsmiths hammering then hand forging each blade, readying strong cutting edges. And Nami. Where her steps were usually lighter than a breeze, she seemed heavy with worry, as if she were watching a fallen blossom caught up on the fast current of a stream, knowing she couldn't stop its ebb and flow…"

What happens next changes the course of my heroine's life…

Btw, that's me with the turkey. I love turning up the heat in the kitchen and in my Spice books…how 'bout you? Is your hero a leg or a breast man?

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!!

Bookmark and Share

February 2010: meet The Blonde Samurai

“She embraced the way of the warrior. Two swords. Two loves.”

4 comments:

Wynter said...

Good, timely post. My hero is definitely a breast man;-) Enjoy your Thanksgiving!

Katie Reus said...

Love the post! My real life hero is a leg man :)

Naima Simone said...

Hi, Jina!
Awesome post and what a cliffhanger! Can we get a clue--a tiny one!--about what happens next?? *batting long lashes*

And to answer your question, definitely a breast man. Good thing too! I have plenty to go around!! LOL!!

Jina Bacarr said...

I love you guys!! What super answers!!

I'm glad you like the story--I don't want to give anything away since this scene happens later in the book.

All I will say is that my story is called "The Blonde Samurai" and it's not long after this scene that Katie gets to show off her skills with a sword...

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!!